2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2016 10:21 AM by Mikhail Vashkevich

ICommandGroup::Activate crashes in C++ AddIn

Mikhail Vashkevich

Hi everybody!

Could anyone give me a hand in understanding what I'm doing wrong in the following part of code, written in C++?

The matter is that during the execution the line of code "pCommandGroup->Activate(&vbResult);" causes a crash.

extern "C" void __declspec (dllexport) Test_command()
      {
      }

extern "C" int __declspec (dllexport) OnUpdateTest()
      {

return 1;
      }

HRESULT MyAddIn::ConnectToSW(LPDISPATCH ThisSW,long Cookie,VARIANT_BOOL *IsConnected)
      {
            *IsConnected=VARIANT_FALSE;

CComQIPtr <ISldWorks> pSldWorks=ThisSW;
            if (!pSldWorks)
                return S_FALSE;

CComPtr <ICommandManager> pCommandManager;
            pSldWorks->GetCommandManager(Cookie,&pCommandManager);
            if (!pCommandManager)
                return S_FALSE;

long lErrors=0;
            CComPtr <ICommandGroup> pCommandGroup;
            pCommandManager->CreateCommandGroup2(0,L"Title",L"Tooltip",L"Hint",-1,VARIANT_TRUE,&lErrors,&pCommandGroup);
            if (!pCommandGroup)
                return S_FALSE;

long lCommandID1=0;
            pCommandGroup->AddCommandItem2(L"Command1",0,L"",L"",-1,L"Test_command",L"OnUpdateTest",0,swMenuItem,&lCommandID1);

pCommandGroup->put_HasMenu(VARIANT_TRUE);

VARIANT_BOOL vbResult=FALSE;
            pCommandGroup->Activate(&vbResult); // It crashes during the exacution

*IsConnected=VARIANT_TRUE;
            return S_OK;
      }

My assumption is that could be due to incorrect siganure for the callbacks in the method ICommandGroup::AddCommandItem2.  As a matter of fact, if I put there empty strings for the callbacks like this

pCommandGroup->AddCommandItem2(L"Command1",0,L"",L"",-1,L"",L"",0,swMenuItem,&lCommandID1);

the crash doesn't occur.

Unfortunately, all samples how to use this function are only available for C# and VB.

Thank you for any assistance!

• Re: ICommandGroup::Activate crashes in C++ AddIn
          Simone Padovan

Hello Mikhail,

you forgot the call to ISwAddin::SetAddinCallbackInfo2. This method provides the information about the menu callback functions, so Solidworks will know about function entries. Moreover set callback functions "more COM compliant" returning an HRESULT value:

STDMETHOD (Test_command)();

For "enabled method" use an out parameter to enable / disable the attached command:

STDMETHOD (OnUpdateTest)(long* status);

Don't forget to expose from your COM object the IDispatch interface: I use ATL so, COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY(IDispatch).

I hope this help you.

Regards,

Simone

• Re: ICommandGroup::Activate crashes in C++ AddIn
              Mikhail Vashkevich

Hello Simone!

Thanks a lot for your reply!

A long time passed since I asked my question.

After struggling for a while with the problem I noticed by myself that I forgot to call ISwAddin::SetAddinCallbackInfo2.

After I corrected the mistake my code stopped to crash but unfortunately it still didn't work as it was expected.

I provided my own implementation of IDispatch interface to pass it to ISwAddin::SetAddinCallbackInfo2 that should handle the callbacks but for some reason SolidWorks didn't even try to call any of its method (neither IDispatch::Invoke, nor IDispatch::GetIDsOfNames, nor anything else). Actually only one method IUnknown::QueryInterface was called but it didn't ask for any special interface that was not supported.

After fighting for some time with that strange behavior and having no success I decided to write a small application in C#  that should handle the creation of Command Manager tabs (that was my initial goal) and dispatch callbacks to my C++ module. Not hard to guess that code written in C# began to work just fine!

Well, for me that was enough. Unfortunately I didn't understand what was wrong in the same thing written in C++.