7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 6:08 AM by James Riddell

link connector

Paolo Ceroni

hello everybody. where can I find some examples about the use of link connectors in simulation studies? I'm having troubles in using link connectors in a 3D model.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: link connector
          Siavash Khajehhasani

Hi Paolo,

I think the help document is very helpful: 2015 SOLIDWORKS Help - Connector - Link

Cheers,

- Siavash

Paolo Ceroni

Hi Siavash,

I read the help topic but it didn't solve. My problem is: I want to connect two parts with link connectors. I create geometric points on them (but they are not on any "real" part, i.e. they are on the centre of holes). I connect the points with link connectors. Meshing is ok but when I try to execute the analysis I get the message "Associated element is not found for Link Connector Link Connector-5. Finer mesh is recommended"

That means, I think, link operate only on nodes and if I can't get a node on the point I created then the link will fail. Is it correct?

The help topic says "Vertex or Point for First/Second Location" so I hoped it could work also on points...

Cheers

Paolo

Siavash Khajehhasani

Hi Paolo,

Fair enough! The vertex or point selection as mentioned in the help, has nothing to to with nodes of the mesh.

However, I would be happy to take a closer look into your model to see what could be a wrong with it. If you can upload your model here, it would be great.

Cheers,

-Siavash

James Riddell

What I believe you want is the Rigid link.  This will keep two surfaces rigidly connected to one another, say, you are picking up something with a hoist using two clevises and you don't want to include the part in the analysis; you can use the rigid link to show that two bodies or holes cannot move with respect to each other.

RMB click on the Connectors section, select Link, drop down the Type tab and choose Rigid.  Then pick two surfaces on the geometry.  Caution though, don't completely trust the stresses too much.

James Riddell

What version of SW Simulation are you using?

Paolo Ceroni

Hi James.

I'm using Simulation 2016 x64 SP3.0

About the Rigid link: I have to simulate the presence of an hydraulic cylinder with ball joints at the extremities. I thought to use a "link", to avoid excessive restraints. My target is to maintain the distance between the cylinder extremities.

Siavash,

I cannot upload the whole model. At the moment no time at all, I'll try to upload a simplified model when possible.

Thanks to all

Paolo