6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 2:29 PM by Marshall Wilson

My 2016 SW Wish List

Marshall Wilson

It is time to renew my SW subscription, and a recent frivolous flirtation with Inventor has refuled my (fickle) fondness for SW. So, I will delay no longer.

And while I am happy to furnish some of my fees for this fantastic yet fussily flawed tool, here is a little list of tiny tweaks that would brighten many a dark day of drawing.

(sorry - got carried away there with the thesaurus)

In short - here are some little(ish) things that I would love to see in any future editions of SW. I spend a few thousand hours using this tool per year, so tiny things tend to be a big deal - the occasional Crash or exploding Sketch don't bother me so much (and perhaps that's because all the other fantastic Forum posters keep them from getting too out of hand).

If anybody is aware of existing solutions to any of these, let me know!  Also, If anybody knows of existing Enhancement requests for these let me know too!

(in no particular order)

1. WINDOWS SIZE ON OPEN AT SPLIT-SCREEN (general SW)

It would be awesome to have new files open in split-screen to a size that is user-determined. So maybe new files would open to the size of the last window resizing. Probably not just in Split-screen but anytime you have non-full-screen document windows.

2. TABS BETWEEN PROPERTIES (general SW)

I use my custom property window (at the right of the sw screen) a lot, and it would be super awesome to just be able to tab between the fields while entering data.

3. CHECK BOX FOR SUPPRESSED STATE OF CONFIGURATIONS (parts/assemblies)

It would be nice to select a suppression mode per configuration without having to go into the Config's property manager (with "radio button", check box etc). Also it would be nice to be able to select TWO choices: 1: Keep stuff done in this configuration suppressed in all the other configurations, and 2: Keep stuff done in the other configs out of this one.

4. MULTIPLE SELECT LINES IN DRAWING VIEW (Drawings)

I make a lot of architectural-style drawings - so I do a lot of tedious cleaning up in the Drawing views. While using the "hide line" tool, it would be nice to be able to select multiple lines (i.e. edges of part geometry) with a lasso or rectangle.

5. LINE THICKNESS DISPLAY IN DRAWING (Drawings)

Why can't we have user-defined Screen line thicknesses in Drawings - or at least line thicknesses displayed as a function of the printed line thickness? Coming from the Mac WSIWYG world, I'm soo confused about this.

6. HATCH ERRORS IN SECTION/DETAILS (Drawings)

Cmon. If I create a hatch in a Section or Detail view, why do all my blocks disappear in that view?

7. REARRANGE LAYER LIST (Drawings)

It would be super to be able to drag Drawing Layers to new arrangements.I.E. Drag the bottom layer on the list up to the top.

8. SET INDIVIDUAL BODY TO LAYER

I love the "Set Component Line Font" tool. Wouldn't it be great to do this for bodies too?

9. CAN'T ROTATE DETAIL VIEWS (Drawings)

As I said, I do a lot of weird stuff - so this would be nice. Not a big deal, since I can just create a new view and crop etc. But still...

10. ESCAPE WHILE EDITING A BLOCK (General SW)

Escape is a GLOBAL tool - "Back out of what you are doing". So while editing a block I would rather that ESC were to back out of the line I'm drawing or dimension I'm setting, instead of trying to stop editing the block

11. REARRANGE FLYOUT TOOLBAR (General SW)

I thought of this once when I accidentally clicked on "Flip Normal" while selecting a plane in a part. I never use this command so it would be cool to be able to remove it from the flyout (RMB) toolbar, and I can't see a way to edit it

12. UNDO FLIP NORMAL (General SW)

(see above) The time I accidentally flipped normal on a plane, it screwed up all the sketches drawn on that plane, and undo did not fix the problems.

13. SPACE BAR (General SW)

I posted awhile ago that I used to use Space-bar to call up my shortcut menu. With 2016 that no longer works when I'm dealing with sketch entities. Not a big deal but makes me sad every time I have to press "B" or whatever key I've set my shortcut menu to.

14. POINT AT CENTER OF DRAWING LINE FROM CENTER (General SW)

Since the Center-point of a line is now a "real thing" in sketches, can we do away with the point created when I sketch a line from centerpoint. Just seems to be unnecessary. Or am I missing the point?

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you think these make sense, or not, or are already in SW and I've just not discovered them.

• Re: My 2016 SW Wish List
          Glenn Schroeder

4.  I agree.

7.  It would be nice, but I only use 3, so it's not a big deal for me.

8.  I agree here also.  Even better, in my opinion, would be to click on a body or Part in the tree and change colors, line style, etc. of the whole body (or Part) with the Line Format toolbar.  Currently it's only available by selecting individual model edges.

9.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to rotate a Detail View different from the parent view.  I'd think it could cause confusion from others viewing the Drawing.

14.  I was one of the users asking for the Midpoint line function, but since entering the dimensions while sketching (see below) doesn't work for midpoint lines, I never use it.

Marshall Wilson

Thanks for the reply, Glenn. Yeah, rotate Detail is probably the least useful of them all. As to #8, I change part line font settings in the Drawing View's Tree all the time (RMB after click on part in tree). Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your suggestion....

Glenn Schroeder

Marshall Wilson wrote:

As to #8, I change part line font settings in the Drawing View's Tree all the time (RMB after click on part in tree). Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your suggestion....

Yes, I'm aware of the ability to change line fonts, colors, etc. by right-clicking on components and choosing "Component Line Font" from the drop-down, but I would like to be able to change the component's edges with the Line Format toolbar also.  That would eliminate the need to have a Layer with the desired color, for example.

John Stoltzfus

The biggest wish list item for me would be on the Custom Properties side of things...

Have a the Assembly Visualization setup like a detachable or a separate spreadsheet document, that doesn't have a limit of columns or rows, or limited like Excel, that document could be opened, mass changes made and closed.

I currently use Custom Property Tab Builder and Task Scheduler for mass changes etc. 

Andrew Miller

13. I think you can accomplish this by remapping the shortcut keys.

As a side note, I have wished for a more stable program for a long time. All the new features are great and all, but shiny new hubcaps don't make up for a leaky transmission...