9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2018 7:50 AM by Snehal Shah

Dimension Alignment

Mark Beesley

It seems to me that software as sophisticated as SW should be able to align dimensions which include text below the line and dimensions that do not. Maybe I am missing something? None of the dimension pallet alignment options seems to work. If anyone has an insight on this I would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Mark

• Re: Dimension Alignment
          Deepak Gupta

Could you post a picture to show the issue?

Steve Fraser

Hi Deepak,

Obviously this is an old thread but it's still a problem in SW18.

The issue being the dimension on the left with TYP below the line will not align itself with the arrows level to the other dimension which has no text below the line. I have found a work around which is just to add a space below the line but it would be nice if the functionality was there for the arrows to lock on to each other regardless of how the dimension is set up / worded.

DIM-ALIGN.jpg

Tony Tieuli

Steve Fraser wrote:

Hi Deepak,

Obviously this is an old thread but it's still a problem in SW18.

The issue being the dimension on the left with TYP below the line will not align itself with the arrows level to the other dimension which has no text below the line. I have found a work around which is just to add a space below the line but it would be nice if the functionality was there for the arrows to lock on to each other regardless of how the dimension is set up / worded.

DIM-ALIGN.jpg

That is an excellent idea. You should submit it to your VAR as an enhancement request. I'd vote for it!

Deepak Gupta

Steve, thanks for bringing it up. Some how I missed to submit this as bug or enhancement (not sure which one is best) but I would soon send it out and share the SPR.

Todd Bush

On 17 mine do line up. just drag the dim and it lines up with the other. it stops in line with a faint line showing your lineup

Snehal Shah

Hi Mark,

I un-checked "rapid dimensioning" (red balloon below) while applying smart dimensions and dimensions get in alignment. A faint yellow line shows up (blue arrow below) when a dimensions is in alignment with other. Hope this helps.

regards,

Snehal

Dimn. alignment.png

Steve Fraser

Hi Snehal,

I tried this and it doesn't fix the issue (at least not for me). I don't have any issue with standard dimensions aligning with each other. They snap to each other and I get the yellow line as you mention. This issue arises when one dimension has text under the line and the other does not. For example in your screenshot the dimension at the top of 32.50 (TYP), will that align with the 97.50 dimension which has no text?

regards,

steve

Snehal Shah

Hi Steve,

Yes you are right, texting along-with dimension creates an encasing invisible cell (below image) which aligns with other dimension lines, hence it is not allowing dimension line to autosnap with other dimension.

Dimn. alignment_2.png

With this I tried another option "Offset text" which might help (below image)

Although it places text in another location but you can drag and adjust.

Dimn. alignment_3.png

Another way to do this is....Insert the text in first window of "Dimension text" which places text along-with dimension value above dimension line, then go to leaders tab and click custom text position (either one) to re-align the dimension and text as required.

Dimn. alignment_4.png

Dimn. alignment_5.png

I'm hopeful this sorts it out.

regards,

Snehal.