9 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 3:45 PM by Gregory Kielczewski

After reset to factory setup I lost color of dimensions in my drawings

Gregory Kielczewski

I clicked something accidentally and I lost my entire workspace and setup.  I decided to reset entire SoildWorks to factory setup (workspace and system options).  As a result of this action I lost color of dimensions in my drawings.  When SW is opening a drawing it flashes green dimension for a fraction of a second and turns them
      black.  Toggling the “Display Mode” doesn’t help because SW moves dimensions from “dim” layer to “Format” layer.  The drawings I am opening still maintain the
      setup of my customized template.  In “Document roperties” all types of dimensions are shown on the “dim” (green) layer.  I tried to make a simple test part and made
      the corresponding drawing.  I noticed hat unless I switch layers to “dim” the dimension manager generates black imensions.  Before the accident, the etup in “Document Properties” was sufficient to generate dimensions on the ”dim” ayer.  Please help!!!

• Re: After reset to factory setup I lost color of dimensions in my drawings
          Glenn Schroeder

Is the active Layer set to "Per Standard"?  Unless it is, the active Layer will over-ride the settings at Document Properties.

Sarah Dwight

I agree with Glenn. It sounds like you no longer have the layer set to Per Standard.

It could also be that you no longer have the documents settings set to the correct layers.

None of my co-workers have set their layers for dims, centerlines, views, etc.

I set it up in our drawing templates, but they still tend to not use Per Standard and switch the layers themselves.

Gregory Kielczewski

Thank you Sara.  Thank you for your response.  I wanted to respond immediately, but didn't know how (I am totally new to the Forum).  I had to post a new thread to learn that I had to log in to be able to participate in a discussion.  So simple.  I learned it pretty fast, but I didn't respond to your post for two days.  It doesn't mean I am not interested in the subject any more.  I was out of my office for two days.

I read your suggestions and compared with my SW.  My "Document Properties" are set properly.  All types of dimensions should be generated on the green "Dim" layer.  If I click on "Layers" I have two layers: black - "Format" and green "Dim".  When I open a drawing, for a while it shows green dimensions but after a second it turns black.  The drawings opens in the layer "None".  Clicking on "Per Standard" doesn't help at this point.  The drawing is already black.  If saved, it doesn't  flesh green any more during opening, even  for a fraction of a second. MS Window Explorer viewer also shows such drawing in black.  Question - how to force "Per Standard" setup of layers in drawings?  If there is no drawing opened I do not have access to "Per Standard" setup.  If I open a drawing it is already too late.  The colors have been destroyed.  I generated a simple part and dimensioned it in my customized template with green dimension.  

Before inserting "Model Items" I switched layers to "Per Standard".  The dimensions appeared green, but not for a long time.  It is enough to switch to part and come back to drawing to lose the color of dimension.  I am totally lost.

Sarah Dwight

Some things to note:

Color Display mode is a "sticky" setting, which means it will stay on until you turn it off. So make sure that is off.

When I open a drawing, for a while it shows green dimensions but after a second it turns black. The drawings opens in the layer "None". Clicking on "Per Standard" doesn't help at this point. The drawing is already black. If saved, it doesn't flesh green any more during opening, even for a fraction of a second.

Document Properties, such as layers, are specific to each document. So if you made some drawings without fixing your settings in those documents, that is how they will stay until you fix them.

Question - how to force "Per Standard" setup of layers in drawings? If there is no drawing opened I do not have access to "Per Standard" setup.

The default layer setting should be saved in your drawing template. When you open just your drawing template, not a new drawing, what is your layer set on?

I generated a simple part and dimensioned it in my customized template with green dimension.

Before inserting "Model Items" I switched layers to "Per Standard". The dimensions appeared green, but not for a long time. It is enough to switch to part and come back to drawing to lose the color of dimension. I am totally lost.

Since you are making a new drawing I have no idea why you are losing your colors.

Gregory Kielczewski

Thank you Sarah for your attempt to solve this mystery.  Yes, "mystery" is probably the best word to describe the phenomenon.  I have factory setup, proper customized templates, a drawing from scratch and still problem doesn't disappear.  Probably I have to call SW directly.  Thank you again. 

Gregory Kielczewski

Hi Sarah,

SW tech support solved the problem.  I don't know if you noticed that at some moment I reset the software.  Doing it I "killed" my previous setup.  To restore it I had to go to "Systems Options" - "Colors" - "Dimensions, Imported (Driving)" and choose any color I wanted.  I forgot to ask the guy who helped me what is the relationship between "Colors" in "Systems Options" and "Dimensions" in "Document Properties" (they were green all the time).  Thanks again

Sarah Dwight

Oh I hadn't thought of that area... We don't use model items, or driving dimensions, in my workplace so I don't have to worry about viewing imported dims.

It makes sense to use this if you use a mix or imported and non-imported dimensions on your drawings.

If you use SysOptions>Colors>Dim,Imported(Driving) it will highlight which dimensions are driving dimensions, but only if the layer is set to None. (correct me if I am wrong here)

I have my dims on the bottom set to the DIMENSION layer which is red. This doesn't identify which dims can be used to edit the drawing if any exist.

Gregory Kielczewski

It s so good you responded to my message.  It allowed me to understand that I have a patch not a solution.  Trying to answer your question and check on which layer my drawings open, I opened a drawing, which lost color of dimensions due to the problems I had experience.  The drawing opened in layer "Format" and with green dimensions, but when I saved the drawing it was saved with black dimensions (as seen by MS Windows Explorer).  I opened the file again and changed the "Dim"  layer to Red.  When I saved the drawing again I found that MS Windows explorer saw dimensions as green.  Very strange.  One thing is sure.  The color of the dimensions generated per "Dimensions" in "Document Properties" on the Dim layer, and the color of the Dim Layer are being overwritten by  "Systems Options" - "Colors" - "Dimensions".

Gregory Kielczewski

Thank you Glen.  Please read my response to Sara.  Thanks again