9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 1:56 PM by Alin Vargatu

SKETCH problem with 2016

Chris Clouser

If you sketch an object in 2016 and then start to dimension it, let's say you highlight the wrong entity, in 2015 you would simply click it again and it would de-select.

Say for instance, draw a rectangle, hit dimension and select one of the sides.  Then you realize that's not the side you want, you would have in the past just selected it again and it would un-highlight and you could go on and select the correct one.

In 2016 this is NOT the case.  You have to hit escape or ctrl or something like that.  PITA!

Is there a setting to correct this back to the way it has been for TWENTY years?

Also, I was trying to remember if you are not dimensioning, but only are using the select cursor, didn't it used to be the same way, where you could select entities over and over and they would select/deselect??

It's weird little stuff like this that is really irratating

TIA!

• Re: SKETCH problem with 2016
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Chris,

I tried with both SW2015 and SW2016.  I wasn't able to de-select a line by clicking on it with Smart Dimension active in either.  I'm not doubting what you said, but that's what I'm seeing here.  Do you use Mouse Gestures?  I have one set to Escape in every situation (Sketch, Assembly, Part, and Drawing).  That does let me escape from a selection, but keep the Smart Dimension tool active.

For the second issue you mentioned, I assume you're referring to sketch entities?  Again, I tried with 2015 and 2016.  I didn't see any difference.  In both, with no command active I can click on a sketch entity to select it.  Clicking on it again does nothing.  It stays selected, but I can click somewhere else to de-select it.  However, if I Ctrl+select multiple entities (or even just one), as long as I'm holding down Ctrl I can go back to click on any of them to de-select.

I know you've been using the software for a lot longer than I have, so maybe I misunderstood something?

Chris Clouser

Glenn, I don't use mouse gestures, but I may have to try it as a work-around.

With the sketch entities (not dimensioning that is) in 2015, you should be able to select and deselect entities just by clicking on them.  I can't remember when dimensioning if this was possible as well in past versions, but something is very off lately and I'm not sure how to explain it.

When dimensioning, the software really should allow you to deselect an entity by choosing it again, because you can't click in the screen like you can when sketching, because if you click in the screen it will place a dimension.

I'm definitely having to go about things in a different way.

Alin Vargatu

Chris Clouser wrote:

in 2015 you would simply click it again and it would de-select.

Are you 100% sure? This functionality (of getting one step back every time you hit Escape) has been implemented back in 2014.

There should be no difference between 2015 and 2016 in this regard.

Make sure Instant2D is off, of course.

Update: I am 99.99% sure that dimensioning SW has never work the way you described. That being said, there is 0.01% I might be wrong.

John Stoltzfus

Alin Vargatu wrote:

Update: I am 99.99% sure that dimensioning SW has never work the way you described. That being said, there is 0.01% I might be wrong.

Now 99.99% - that's a heck of a good average

Chris Clouser

I wish I could explain it better, but sketching has become very clunky in 2016.  You might be right about the dimensioning part but there is something different and it has become much more difficult.  And it' not just that overly-aggressive mid point feature either.

Alin Vargatu

,Chris Clouser wrote:

I wish I could explain it better, but sketching has become very clunky in 2016. You might be right about the dimensioning part but there is something different and it has become much more difficult. And it' not just that overly-aggressive mid point feature either.

The main difference is that in 2016, if you have entities pre-selected, the dimension tool will dimension them.

In a way, that would accomplish what you described.

1. Hold CTRL pressed

2. Click on entities to add to the selection. The second click on an entity would de-select it.

3. Release CTRL. The in-context toolbar appears.

4. Select the smart dimension tool.

5. The dimension is applied.

For some of us, this workflow creates problems. I am a big user of the "S"-key shortcut toolbar. Once I finish creating an entity, it stays selected. That means calling the smart dimension tool will try to dimension the last entity created, which most of the time is not what I want.

So now I have to add  one ESCAPE in the workflow:

1. Create entity

2. Escape (or select)

3. Call dimension

Alin Vargatu

The main difference is that in 2016, if you have entities pre-selected, the dimension tool will dimension them.

In a way, that would accomplish what you described.

1. Hold CTRL pressed

2. Click on entities to add to the selection. The second click on an entity would de-select it.

3. Release CTRL. The in-context toolbar appears.

4. Select the smart dimension tool.

5. The dimension is applied.

For some of us, this workflow creates problems. I am a big user of the "S"-key shortcut toolbar. Once I finish creating an entity, it stays selected. That means calling the smart dimension tool will try to dimension the last entity created, which most of the time is not what I want.

So now I have to add one ESCAPE in the workflow:

1. Create entity

2. Escape (or select)

3. Call dimension

The good news is the problem described above, has been solved in SW 2018!

Dan Pihlaja

One thing you can do Alin is, (if you use a 3D mouse), create a little macro on it for the "S" key, except add the "ESC" key function to it.  So that with a press of a button on the 3D mouse, you get ESC S

Alin Vargatu

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

One thing you can do Alin is, (if you use a 3D mouse), create a little macro on it for the "S" key, except add the "ESC" key function to it. So that with a press of a button on the 3D mouse, you get ESC S

The good news is that a workaround is no longer needed in SW 2018. You get the best of both worlds.