7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 9:39 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Mate reference issue

Tony Vitale

Good afternoon,

I am trying to setup mate references for DIN rail and DIN rail mountable components. It will snap properly only to one side. Suggestion on mate ref locations on the DIN rail? It seems like i have to have refs on both sides.

• Re: Mate reference issue
          Eric Blankinship

Tony,

I am not 100% sure I understand the issue here.  I take it you want the mountable component to stay on the rails but be able to move freely on the rails?

If that there is a couple of ways this count be accomplished.  The way I'd do this is to use a plane that goes through the center of the mountable feature and use the symmetry mate about the 2 rails to keep the part properly centered.  Then I'd use a coincident constraint between the top surface of the rail and the underside of the clamp (or if you want it centered about the rail use symmetry,  just assuming it would rest on top surface realistically due to gravity).  Finally either leave the final axis undefined or if the rail has a limited track you want it to move on use limit dimension so that it can only move from one end of the track to the other.

~Eric

Glenn Schroeder

Tony,

Can you post the two parts here?

Bill Toft

Tony,

First set up 2 mate planes in the assembly:

A horizontal plane that is coincident with the rail surface.(Call it "Rail Plane")

A vertical plane that is centered between the rails. (Call it "Center Plane")

Then, in each of the mountable components part files, add 2 mate planes:

A horizontal plane that is coincident with the surface that will contact the rail. ("Rail Plane")

A vertical plane that is centered on the part. ("Center Plane")

In the assembly mate these 2 sets of planes.

This allows you to swap out parts and not worry about geometry changes because you are mating planes & not surfaces.

Tony Vitale

Got it! See revised attached parts. Just a matter of trial and error with aligned and anti-aligned. I dont need the planes but the planes in the parts do keep it from laying down during flipping. I'll be keeping them!