6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 11:26 AM by Todd Blacksher

Modeling Platonic Solids

William Radigan

I've seen several examples of modeling Platonic Solids in SOLIDWORKS, most notably in a few of Phil Sluder's excellent SWW presentations, but I've never seen a complete set before.  I was also interested in creating a data set that would be useful for mathematical instruction and introducing (young?) people to the beauty of math and geometry.  With that in mind, the models are available as STL files for 3D printing as well as PDF drawings of flat patterns that can be cut and folded.

I'd appreciate feedback from this community on the SLDPRT models, particularly ways to make them more universal, robust, and simple.  Creating these models was more challenging than I expected in a few places and ways around these less-than-elegant solutions would be greatly appreciated.

All of the files can be found on this blog post: Platonic Solids in SOLIDWORKS - Radigan Engineering

The Numberphile video that inspired me to get moving on this project can be viewed here.

Perfect Shapes in Higher Dimensions - Numberphile - YouTube 

Icosahedron_150.jpg

• Re: Modeling Platonic Solids
          Todd Blacksher

William,

As usual, this is AWESOME!

I saw one of my favorites in Kim Richardson's blog post a while back (SOLIDWORKS Part Reviewer: Dodecahedron Tutorial )

I believe she used one of Ed Eaton's models - extremely elegant in the way that it was created.

(Haven't looked at yours yet, but I am sure they are just as impressive!)

Hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look at these later tonight or this weekend,

Thanks again!

todd

William Radigan

Thanks Todd, I hadn't seen that particular model yet.

It's almost magic how the Dodecahedron explodes onto the screen using Kim's technique.  I wouldn't have believed it could be done in 2 features plus a layout sketch if I hadn't seen it first-hand.

Obviously, I'm partial to my own construction as being "more intuitive" , but I'm particularly impressed at how she calculated the dihedral angle geometrically using sketch relations instead of my "brute force" equation...   arccos (-1 / sqrt(5)) anyone?  Well done Kim!

BTW, is Kim Richardson active here on the SW Forums?

Todd Blacksher

I had hoped to respond to this last night, but we are still dealing with the mess from the storms on Monday.

I would have to double check, but I believe that Ed Eaton created the dodecahedron model, although it could have been Kim.

Not sure how active Kim is on the forums, she does a lot of blogging for SOLIDWORKS, but I wasn't able to tag/mention her in my response.  She is pretty awesome, she was helping Rachel York A LOT at SWW this year, so you might have met her in Dallas.

todd

Rachel York

Hey guys -
                    Just wanted to jump in and confirm - the dodecahedron model in this case was created by Ed Eaton for Kim's Part Reviewer Program. Those models come from many sources and many walks of life. Kim isn't very active on the forum, but she says hello! As always, thank you for reading! And NICE job William!!! I'd be opened to talking about a guest blog series on your models - good stuff here! Email me if interested and we can talk scheduling, etc.

Thanks again,

Rachel