15 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 4:36 PM by Alin Vargatu

Simplify assemblies

Vlad Shevchenko

Hi everyone!

I need to simplify information about features which have been used for building bodies. I need to hide information about sketches and features and keep just bodies in parts. I can't use STL or another mesh format for this. I also need to keep information about mates in assemblies.

Maybe, there exist some methods which can be useful for this transformation, or someone has ideas how it can be done in SolidWorks.

Have a nice day.

• Re: Simplify assemblies
            Vlad Shevchenko

Thank you for your answer. It can be useful for my future investigation. There are couple moments which this method ignores. It removes all information about assembly hierarchy, mates and store all information just in one file. I need keep all this data about assembly and remove information just about features which were used for building those bodies.

Alin Vargatu

How many components you have in the top level assembly?

Vlad Shevchenko

The count can be different. I need to write addin which will simplify assemblies or part. So it depend on document which will be load into SolidWorks.

Alin Vargatu

Vlad Shevchenko wrote:

The count can be different. I need to write addin which will simplify assemblies or part. So it depend on document which will be load into SolidWorks.

Is this done in order to preserve intellectual property? Meaning, that when you send the assembly to someone else, you want them to be able to see it, measure stuff, calculate masses, integrate it in their assemblies and nothing else?

Vlad Shevchenko

Yes, I need it for preserving intellectual property. I want to keep all SolidWorks functionality which provides for SolidWorks native formats and remove information about how all bodies were built.

Alin Vargatu

Vlad Shevchenko wrote:

Yes, I need it for preserving intellectual property. I want to keep all SolidWorks functionality which provides for SolidWorks native formats and remove information about how all bodies were built.

Excellent. I have the perfect solution for you. I will demonstrate it on a assembly with 10 parts. All bodies and mates will be preserved.

Moreover, if you change the original assembly, the new assembly will update as well. It will also allow you to choose between having one assembly file with internal parts, or a file per part.

Alin Vargatu

Yes, I can do this in SOLIDWORKS. Thanks for the challenge, I learned something new and useful today!

Will create a video to show you how is done. May I get your macro in return?

Vlad Shevchenko

Thank you for your time. I'll wait for your results.

Alin Vargatu

Everybody sleeps in my house at this time, so I will record the video in about 5 hours.

Until then, see if the simplification results form the attached file set would work for you.

Original assembly is Universal Joint_&.SLDASM and the simplified one is Universal Joint_s.SLDASM.

Would such a result work for you?

We can use a different method to simplify it further if needed.

If you want to see what I did, open Universal Joint_&.SLDASM and edit the Defeature feature:

Vlad Shevchenko

Everybody sleeps in my house at this time, so I will record the video in about 5 hours.

Until then, see if the simplification results form the attached file set would work for you.

Original assembly is Universal Joint_&.SLDASM and the simplified one is Universal Joint_s.SLDASM.

It exactly what I'm looking for.

Alin Vargatu

Vlad Shevchenko wrote:

It exactly what I'm looking for.

Happy to hear that. I would really appreciate if you would share the final macro with me. Feel free to PM me, if needed.

Will post the video later on today.

Alin Vargatu

At this time, Defeature is the only tool that would preserve mates.

This is the ER that I just submitted to SW:

Ability to use Defeature to create a new assembly with the same assembly structure, component geometry and mates, but no features

Protecting intellectual property is important. My customers would like to prevent their customers from opening assemblies fully resolved, but only in lightweight.

All the geometry, masses, materials and mates should be preserved. Only the features should be scrubbed from the feature tree.

Defeature can do most of this right now. We need this added functionality for Defeature:

1. Run Defeature in an assembly
                                2. Have an option to protect all faces, so none will disappear
                                3. Have an option to place each components in its own group (for mate preservation)
                                4. Have an option for preserving the assembly structure
                                5. Have an option for preserving material
                                6. Have an option for preserving custom properties.

Alternatively, this can be another SAVE AS option from inside the assembly. Like:

Save Assembly LightWeight, which will replace all features with one "stock" feature per part.

Once I receive an SPR, I will post it here, so you can vote on it. Such an enhancement will be revolutionary!!!

If any SW employee reads this, the ER is 1-10993066081