9 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2016 12:22 PM by Mathew Stevenson

Is it just me, or 2016 a bust?

Jason Lackey

I just upgraded from 2012 t0 2016 and am experiencing nothing but issues.  It is taking far longer to do nominal tasks, it does not function properly, and it crashes constantly when performing the most basic of functions, like exiting a sketch.  What the heck is going on?!!  One weird quirk that I've never experienced with 2012 was selecting two hole faces always assumed concentric mates, and if the hole spacing was different, it gave a an error.  Now, instead of an error, it just changes to a parallel mate without any warning.  I don't think I've ever done a parallel mate between holes.  Is there a setting for this?  After attending SolidWorks well I was stoked to get my hands on 2016.  Now? I am seriously considering going back.  New feature are cool and all, but I need the root software to work!  Trying to move towards MBD has been a PIA.  Pretty much zero useful documentation on setting it up.  The 10 videos about it are no help as they are mostly about using the DimXpert which I was already doing in preparation for MBD.  The 3D PDF output is barely useable as the text in the feature control frames is all jacked up and dimensions set to other views are showing up in the 3d views.  Sketch dims are showing up on the 3d PDF.  I am at my wits end!!  Sorry guys, had to rant about this because I am not happy with the performance of 2016 as of yet.  Maybe I am overlooking something, but I've bee using 2012 since 2012, and for all its quirks, I have had far less issues on a day to day basis than the last three weeks of using 2016.

J Lackey

• Re: Is it just me, or 2016 a bust?
          Paul Salvador

Jason,.. your rant is valid!

I personally went from 2012 to 2015 with a lot of problems, mainly crashing and bizzare feature failures!?... sp5 finally solved most of the crashes.. but I agree,.. with all of 2012 issues.. it is BETTER than 2015 and 2016!

imho.

Jeff Mirisola

Before you go dump 2016, how did you upgrade? Was it a clean install? Have run SolidWorks Rx to check for issues?

There are those who hate 2016 and those that don't. I'm of the latter group, having had no more issues with it than with any other release.

Jason Lackey

Jeff,

It was a clean install, and yes, the Rx was run and showed that everything was all good.  To be clear, I don't hate 2016 as the new features are really great.  My issue is that it seems to be very unstable.  As I mentioned, it has crashed on me at least 10 times on a single feature parts where I either edit the one sketch, or add a new one. It was claimed that it would run faster as it uses the processor power more efficiently, but I feel like it actually runs much slower in our top level assemblies.   The MBD prospect was a huge selling point for me, but no support and real tutorials being provided for a feature that is supposed to "change the engineering paradigm" (Oboe Wong), seems absurd.  I like SolidWorks a lot, but I have just been having nothing but glitchy behavior and crash after crash with it so far, so  it has been a highly frustrating experience to date.

Jeff Mirisola

I can imagine dealing with the issues you're having would be extremely frustrating. Out of curiosity, how old is your PC? Are all your installs seeing the same slowdowns?

Jason Lackey

Well, I will say that my PC is pretty old compared to the rest of my work group, and should be getting a new one hopefully soon.  But I did uninstall all version of SWx and reinstalled 16 as clean.  Still having issues.  One thing that I have been running into since I have posted this is that when converting old files to 16, the drawings are becoming detached from the models.  Not every single time, but at this point it has been about 50%.  Pretty odd behavior.  So what I've been having to do is save as the drawing to a new name, and then re-save as back to the original name in order to restore the connection.

Glenn Schroeder

Jason,

Have these crashes been on new models, or models updated from SW2012?

As for the parallel mate you mentioned, I agree.  I don't see how holes can be parallel, although as I'm typing I guess their axes could be parallel?  Anyway, if I have the Mate command active and choose two cylindrical faces, I want to see an error if they can't be concentric, because I probably have a dimension off somewhere.

Again, as I'm typing I seem to remember that that's a new feature because some users were complaining about not being able to apply concentric mates if axes were off by a small fraction.  I can't find any information about it right off hand, but maybe someone else will remember, or have more info.

Tony Vitale

I too have been plagued with crashes instability and sluggish performance. I know my PC is a little old (3 years) but seriously.... I clean installed twice, and on the second clean install i have more crashes than before... how the hell can that be possible LOL

Dell Precision T3600 (quadro 2000D) Windows 10 64bit

Thoughts??

Mathew Stevenson

ePDM or Pro PDM is crap also. Just slower