2 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 11:46 AM by Dennis Dohogne

Creating a custom perforated sheet with sheet metal function

Samuel Stuard

I have designed a part in the past that I didn't draw that is a step broken cone.  The base material used to be 1/4'' 304 perforated sheet but we were having trouble getting the material and it is expensive so I designed the cone to be made from 1/4'' 304 sheet and to have the hole pattern simulated on the sheet with some other patterns as well which were needed to update the part.  I have the cone drawn with the step brakes, however getting the patterns on the cone and making them cut the material has been a challenge.  I used offset entities to create the current pattern when it is unfolded, however it doesn't want to cut those areas.  Everything in the 4.00'' areas would be simulated perforated.  Does anyone know a good way to do this without manually adding in a bunch of holes?

Thank you,

SS

• Re: Creating a custom perforated sheet with sheet metal function
          Steven Barry

Samuel,

You might consider trying the "fill pattern" feature to create a bunch of holes.  To do it, you can create one hole, then use the fill pattern to select the boundaries you want to fill and adjust the spacing.

The more holes you have, the nastier your performance is going to get, but it's worth a shot.

-Steven

• Re: Creating a custom perforated sheet with sheet metal function
            Dennis Dohogne

I agree with Steven, patterning all the perforations will kill your system performance, even though it is a simple feature.

I recommend the following:

1. Only make a small area patterned to show that the part has holes.  Use a note on the drawing to tell of the extent of the pattern.

2. Make and pattern the holes with the sheet flattened rather than in the formed part.  Holes that intersect/straddle a bend are properly bent and deformed if done this way.  If they are made in the fully formed part they might cause the flattening to fail or could be difficult to pattern, but could be even more difficult to model in the first place.