7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 4:10 PM by Wayne Schafer

Is it possible to convert two network licenses into stand alone seats?

John Frahm

Is it possible to convert two network licenses into stand alone seats?

• Re: Is it possible to convert two network licenses into stand alone seats?
          Cad Admin

ANYTHING is possible...BUT will come with a cost associated with it.  I would contact your VAR and ask & request a quote.

S. Casale

As I recall, for every network seat there is a standalone license which can be installed is available.

Cad Admin

That would be a new one on me.  I've used both standalone & Network.  To use your "license" in the network aspect you need server access or "borrow" the license for a period of time. 

Your original question sounded like you just wanted to turn your network license into standalone.  Not Duel purpose...

What you are saying would essentially give you "double" your licenses capability...not sure that is available

I remember many moons ago you could install a standalone on a desktop and a laptop as long as you did not "use" them at the same time...

S. Casale

Contact your VAR. We have one stand alone for every network license of SWX. It requiresa separate key, we rarely use the additional standalone lic. though. It has to be requested I believe.

John Frahm

The intent is not to get "two for the price of one" the intent is to get one working version. Small company 3 users. I'm new and company could not afford the $10,000 penalty to upgrade two users to 2016 since they let subscription lapse so work around was to buy an independent seat for my workstation. I down graded my 2016 install to be 2015 so we can all work together and the other two blokes have to use the network licenses when they can access the server.

I do not know all the details but my interpretation is that the server has had some form of catastrophic failure which has caused our third party IT department to have too install a new server, rebuild it, install a second mirrored server (too prevent future issues) and backing data up to a cloud. Prior to this back ups were being my made an internal individual who never bothered to check the back ups, now that I think about it I have not seen him around....

Enough back story, Product must go out the door for everyone to get paid, so Manufacturing gets priority. Their connections and tools are coming online first. Engineering is on day three of not being able to access the license server. My two buddies are going home without pay, and I want to help them get pay. (New guy, I can work why can't they, management thinks I must be a super user, two guys are not going to be real receptive to helping me since I'm making them look bad ...)

Called our VAR, Tech support kicks us to Sales since subscription has lapsed (management decision driven by tight budget) and Sales does not want to help but....

Sales finally gives us a work around 15 days license borrow since the server is down. Once server is up since it's currently spotty (they keep migrating things which takes down the server) we had the two guys borrow the license from the server. They can work when the IT guy shuts down the server since we all are working from C: drives.

As an aside, we could pay to completely walk away from the License server and make each seat independent. Cost us $150.00 per seat. $450.00 for the two seats, plus flo-simulation to one of the seats. We'll see what management decides. With my independent seat I can transfer my license to my laptop for home use. This place continues with it's policy of hourly compensation I'm not doing that any time soon.

Wayne Schafer

We have 19 network seats here.  I can have up to 19 home licenses.  My var gave me a serial number to use for home license use.  It is the same serial for all 19 home licenses.