15 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 11:33 AM by Paul Salvador

Drop in render passes from 13 to 1 pass per second

Harish Pawaskar

Rendering runs at 13 passes per second till it reaches 3000 passes, then there is a pause for few minutes and drops down to 1 pass per second.

Wondering what is the reason for this.

running on single GTX 980 ti on windows 10 64Bit OS.

• Re: Drop in render passes from 13 to 1 pass per second
          Fin Jackson

Hi Harish,

What type of render are you doing? CPU, GPU or Hybrid?

Any appearances applied that could be considered 'expensive' such as glass?

Also, the GeForce GPU might be the cause, the Quadro range are the supported cards, I've linked below a great blog on comparison between GPUs in Visualize renders;

SOLIDWORKS Visualize - Graphics performance NVIDIA Quadro

Regards

Fin

Thomas Loeff

Rendering Newbie here,

how do you select the render method as described above please?

Thanks

Brian Hillner

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to Visualize. There is a code within Visualize to understand what hardware you have on your machine to select the most optimum renderer method. You can always change this and manually select the desired render method via the Tools > Options > 3D Viewport

Hybrid is recommended for most machines, unless you have 2 or more GPUs (graphics cards).

Click this link to watch the Visualize tutorials on MySolidWorks. We have 6 now and 10 more are coming soon:

SOLIDWORKS Visualize | MySolidWorks Training

Thanks and happy rendering. Please remember to post your images at this forum thread link to receive feedback from the larger Visualize community!

Visualize rendered content

Thomas Loeff

Thanks Brian.  I really appreciate the reply.  As long as I've got you...........(stalker alert lol), I'm looking at a new dell 5810 system as my current machine isn't really a Solidworks certified machine and its really old.  I'm considering the NVidia k2200 as I'm on a budget, but I'm curious; if wanted to add a second one in the future, will it increase render performance?  I notice that Dell sells cards.  Are they physically different than singles?

Thanks in advance,

TL

Brian Hillner

No stalker offense taken

Adding a second card does indeed increase the performance. I would definitely suggest a dual GPU configuration for some ludicrous speeds (yes, that is a Spaceballs reference).  You do not absolutely need dual GPUs to run Visualize, but once people understand that time really does equal money, the additional card pays for itself in the first week alone.

While I cannot officially recommend the cards from NVIDIA (cough, cough), you will find the NVIDIA M4000 is the perfect sweet spot between performance and cost. Here is an article to help:

SOLIDWORKS Visualize - Graphics performance NVIDIA Quadro

Thomas Loeff

Sadly, I got the Spaceballs reference......

I am looking at the M4000, but I am on a budget and was considering I'd go cheap and add a second card when more funds are available.  In the end, the M4000 is less total cash, about $600 from Dell, versus, $800 for two K2200's spread over time.

Do you know if there is a physical difference between the single K2200 sold by Dell and the dual K2200?

Thanks,

Brian Hillner

I do not think there is a physical difference in the dual K2200 cards.

Another deciding factor is the size of models you can open in Visualize between those 2 cards (K2200 & M4000). When i say "size" i am referring to the polygon count, found in the HUD in the bottom center of the Viewport. The larger the polygon number, the more VRAM (memory available on the GPU) it needs to keep the performance. We say that you can import up to 5 million polys per 1GB of VRAM.

The K2200 has 4GB of VRAM, so apporx 20million polys in a single Visualize project.

The M4000 has 8GB of VRAM, so approx 40million polys in a single Visualize project.

I am not sure the type of projects you import into Visualize, but the M4000 will keep you more relevant for longer...ie: a better investment.

Alan Sweetenham

Hi

Also note the K2200 has been replaced, I've just been notified by our Dell rep that teh M2000 is available, this is based on second generation maxwell technology (k2200 was first generation maxwell) and has more CUDA cores. Obviously we reccomend Quadro because a big percentage of users are going to also use SOLIDWORKS and Geforce cards are not supported and often do cause issues (from getting on for 10 years working in SOLIDWORKS support i can tell you it is NOT a myth!) I would go with the M4000 if budget allows as it has way more CUDA cores and more memory, however if you want to work in SOLIDWORKS at the same time as visualize things become murkier.

Having dual cards would make running SOLIDWORKS and Visualize at the same time much better, you can set the render to use one GPU by changing a setting in the Nvidia Control panel and the other to be used by SOLIDWORKS. Just make sure in Visualize you choose GPU only for the renderer if you want to run at the same time as visualize otherwise it will use 100% of your CPU also. (i advise setting to GPU anyway eeven if you want to just check emails/ use word while it is rendering)

I have only done limited testing with this but it does seem to work well so far on the system i have for testing from Dell (2 x M4000)

I am not sure about mixing, cards perhaps Brian can answer that one could say a M2000 and a M4000 be used for rendering at the same time, or could one be used for SOLIDWORKS and the other for visualize? not sure if any testing has been done with these sort of setups obviously it would be great to have 2 x M4000 longer term, jsut make sure you spec the power supply so that this can be added.

Alan

Brian Hillner

Hi Harish,

I tried to reproduce your render issue you noticed after 3000 passes. I did not see a drop in overall pass count, but i did see that there was a longer period of time between pass count updates. This longer period of time between number updates allows the renderer to render faster. So even though the rate at which you receive pass count updates is slower, the renderer is still going faster than ever, and you should notice a massive jump in pass count between updates.

I hope this is what you were asking for.

Harish Pawaskar

Hi Brian,

Apologies for replying so late.

I figured out that the issue was file specific. it was with few of my old bunkspeed files.

i have now created a new render file and its working extremely well. i must say i am very happy with speed and render quality.

Hi Fin,

Thanks for sharing Nvidia Quadro performance comparisons.

I use GTX 980Ti  as Quadro cards are too expensive. but i can curious to know how GTx 980ti compares to any of Quadro?

Thanks

Harish

Paul Salvador

"....curious to know how GTx 980ti compares to any of Quadro?"

..waiting for the OFFICIAL reply on this one! 

Crickets Chirping Sound Effect - YouTube

Brian Hillner

Hi Paul,

First off - enjoyed the crickets sounds

As I'm sure you know, SOLIDWORKS products always recommend Quadro cards, since they are enterprise level cards and come backed with more support than GeForce cards. Because of this, we do not benchmark Quadro cards against GeForce cards.

I can say that I'm pushing to add a Visualize section to the SW hardware requirements page that lists the cards we have tested to date. I will check to see if we have any data on GeForce cards to include.

An simple (cursory) comparison can be the number of CUDA cores between those cards of the same chip generation.

Thanks,

Brian

Paul Salvador

..glad the gryllidae helped with the offical truth forward....

Correct,.. .SAME (basic) CHIP... different support.

M4000 (quadro) = conservative manager buyer...or, enterprise snake oil sales.

GTx 980ti  is the BETTER CARD, PERIOD... especially for Visualize!...

and, from what I recall, you'd have to get a M6000 (quadro) to be fair/compare.

..I will add... I've worked with both gtx and quadro cards over the years and this gtx/quadro question is ALWAYS "talked about".. and I hightlight... with NO specifics... and, it's very helpful for quadro sales!

and, YES,.. some programs (add-ons) are specific for quadro software support ... and driver versions are specific,... that is, you can be locked into only one driver version to run your one specific software/version...      so, if you have MANY types of software (2D/3D)...  it's a limitation.  

GTX shown on your Visualize sight....?  

PLEASE!... show the GTx 980ti versus the M4000 or M6000... ... that would be very interesting... but I DOUBT you will be allowed to do this... your VAR's will throw a FIT!