11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2008 2:57 PM by Pete Yodis

Command Manager Too Smart

Pete Yodis
      The command manager in 2008 is too smart for its own good. I have attached a video to explain. I would like to create my own custom tab - which I have. In the video the particular tab is a collection of all the tools I would need while working in an assembly file. I like the abiliity to customize this to the degree that it is shown in the video. I would also like to turn off all the other tabs since my one custom tab named "Assembly Tools", is setup so that it contains all the tools the other tabs contained - plus additional ones. When working with just this tab shown, the smarty pants command manager still wants to open tabs up while working in SolidWorks - the problem though is that I told it I wanted all the non-custom tabs turned off. In my video example, with all the tabs except my custom one turned off - when I go to create a sketch, the command manger flashes to an empty set of tools. I am presuming that it always wants to turn on the sketch tab, but can't since it has been turned off. What annoys me is that I have to then click my custom tab to get to the sketch tools I placed there - because the command manager stole focus away from that tab. I am pretty sure that in Beta, it didn't function this way. In Beta I setup a custom tab for everything I would need, turned off all the other tabs, and worked away. If this isn't fixed in 2008 sometime, I will consider completely shutting off the command manager for all our users here. I know its only going to confuse them.

Pete
        • Command Manager Too Smart
          Anna Wood
          Glad to hear it is not just me.....

This needs to get fixed. The extra click is unnecessary and for sure will confuse our users.

Cheers,
          • Command Manager Too Smart
            Gerald Davis
            Peter -
            I agree with you. The improved UI in SW08 requires too many extra clicks.

I've tried making the custom tab and using the S-key menu, but those are extra "clicks" from the start.

With SW07, I could start a drawing from the part or put the part into an assembly or change perspective view with one less click than I can in SW08.

Thanks for posting your video. I hope this gets some attention from those working on SP1.1 !