15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 5:34 PM by James Hernández

Mating errors everywhere, AGAIN!

Jacob Murray

For some unknown reason, when I work on an assembly and save it, then reopen it, I am getting what seems like random mating errors. My assembly is all over the place and it is saying no solution found. I don't know why this is happening. Even if I over defined the assembly by adding two similar mates, or if I made two conflicting mates, I don't understand why all the unrelated mates would suddenly fall apart. I have been through each mate over and over to try and find it, and tried using Mate Xpert but I really don't know what is going on. I was hoping someone with a bit more experience may be able to have a look at the assembly for me and tell me what I am doing wrong, or why this is happening.

The file is Solidworks 2016 Mate problem.zip - Google Drive

Any help would be really appreicated

• Re: Mating errors everywhere, AGAIN!
          Jim Moses

Hi,

I have seen this in the past, if you are using parts with a few configurations, sometimes it causes SW to get confused, try "ctrl-q" (force rebuild) after you reopen and see if the errors go away, also I have had when using flexible assemblies, some times you need to change the configuration to Rigid and then back to Flexible

Also if you are using a PDM system some of the read-only files may be causing issues.

I know its not a fix, but it seems to correct the issues for the session I am working on certain assemblies

John Stoltzfus

Mating issues can be a tough nut to crack - 

When I see a file like you describe I suppress every item in the feature tree and one by one unsuppress each item starting from the top and work down.  That is the easiest way to pinpoint any issue.  Do you have the box checked that's highlighted below??

Like Jim Moses mentioned, you may be kicking errors by using a part with a lot of configurations, and a hammering of the ctrl Q, might be the only way to clean it up temporarily. 

David Sloop

I avoid using tangency mates. Solidworks doesn't seem to handle them well. It will flip over on you frequently.

Concentric mates will also, occasionally, but not as often.

I work my way up thru mates in the model tree suppressing broken mates, until suddenly a bunch fix themselves. Often it will be a concentric or tangency mate that flipped over on me, and caused a bunch of others to fail.

Alin Vargatu

Jacob Murray wrote:

For some unknown reason, when I work on an assembly and save it, then reopen it, I am getting what seems like random mating errors. My assembly is all over the place and it is saying no solution found. I don't know why this is happening. Even if I over defined the assembly by adding two similar mates, or if I made two conflicting mates, I don't understand why all the unrelated mates would suddenly fall apart. I have been through each mate over and over to try and find it, and tried using Mate Xpert but I really don't know what is going on. I was hoping someone with a bit more experience may be able to have a look at the assembly for me and tell me what I am doing wrong, or why this is happening.

The file is Solidworks 2016 Mate problem.zip - Google Drive

Any help would be really appreicated

Which file should we open? There are 3 top level assemblies in that zip file.

Jacob Murray

Guys I can't seem to get anywhere with this, and it is currently costing our company thousands of dollars because we can't send the designs off. I can't find what is wrong with it. Once I get something right on one of the configs, the others one go all over the place. Would someone be willing to do fix it for me for a few hundred? We can transfer through PayPal if you want. I just need this fixed.

James Hernández

Jacob, I have to agree with you.  SW2016 seems to be the worst version I've ever used when it comes to reconciling mates (I've been using SW since 98 plus).  We are currently re-mating five assemblies and re-doing the related drawings because SW can't reconcile simple mates (we have a double torsion spring with a single axis to axis mate and it won't translate or rotate).  I wish there was some way to know what was fundamentally changed in the software so we could work around the problems (is there some new setting that is gumming up the works?).  By the way, were you ever able to come to a solution?