1 Reply Latest reply on May 2, 2016 7:00 PM by Artem Taturevych

SolidWorks API question - Items and BOMs

Ken Hayes

Hi, new to the forum.  We are an ERP developer, and are being asked about integration from Inventor to our Item Master / Bill of Material Master tables. 

We have an import facility that can take a text file (with two header lines formatted just so), containing rows of items and / or BOM records and import them into our system.

I worked on this a little last yeare, and found more examples of deriving this data from the table shown on the drawing file itself, which the user may or not populate with everything I need for a given export, so that is one questrion I have - what is the proper source of Item and BOM data when I have a given drawing / part file open.

I am looking for the correct resource / forum to understand how the API works and whether the SolidWorks API can output a single file that combines both Item and BOM data like this (I apologize if I am putting in too much data in the wrong forum):  

For the Item Master: 

IM-TYPE of 1 = Fabricated (the parent), IM-TYPE of 2 = Purchased (the child) 

DECL(IM) IM-KEY IM-DESCR IM-TYPE IM-REV

END

"ITEM-PARENT" "PARENT ITEM" 1 "A"

"ITEM-CHILD-1" "FIRST CHILD ITEM" 2 "B"

"ITEM-CHILD-2" "SECOND CHILD ITEM" 2 "D"   

For the Bill of Material (PS - Product Structure) data for this relationship, one parent with two components:  

DECL(PS) PS-PARENT-KEY PS-SUBORD-KEY PS-PIECE-NO PS-REV - PS-QTY-P

END

"ITEM-PARENT" "ITEM-CHILD-1" "001" "A" 2

"ITEM-PARENT" "ITEM-CHILD-2" "002" "A" 1 

Making a single file that looks like this:

DECL(IM) IM-KEY IM-DESCR IM-TYPE IM-REV

END

"ITEM-PARENT" "PARENT ITEM" 1 "A"

"ITEM-CHILD-1" "FIRST CHILD ITEM" 2 "B"

"ITEM-CHILD-2" "SECOND CHILD ITEM" 2 "D"

DECL(PS) PS-PARENT-KEY PS-SUBORD-KEY PS-PIECE-NO PS-REV - PS-QTY-P

END

"ITEM-PARENT" "ITEM-CHILD-1" "001" "A" 2

"ITEM-PARENT" "ITEM-CHILD-2" "002" "A" 1

Each 'DECL' / END set of lines begins a new table callout, and can be combined in the same text file. 

Thanks for your help, all! 

Ken Hayes