4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2007 4:14 PM by James Sidgwick

Dividing up a model

James  Sidgwick

I have quite a large model, which happens to be symmetric. Iwant to divide it in two so that I can do more accurate Floworkscalculations on half of it. Is there an easy way of dividing it intwo, and simply analysing a small section of the model? I havetried blocking up half of it with extrusions and extra parts sothat flow can only go through half of it, but get numerous errormessages. I have also tried simply getting rid of half of it with acut extrusion, but it is a funny shape and does not like that. Isthere any other way of doing it? Thanks,

James

• Dividing up a model
          Chris Michalski
          I don't have access to my computer with the Floworks license to get the details right, but - right click on the computational domain in the FloWorks manager to edit it - pick the plane of symmetry and it will analyze the remaining side taking into account that symmetric relationship
          • Dividing up a model
            Chris Pellegrino
            Cut half of your model away at the plane of symmetry. Move thecorresponding boundary wall onto that surface (typically thecomponent will have been modeled with the symmetry plane on thex=0, y=0, or z=0 plane which makes moving the boundary wall easy.)Then while in the window for editing the boundary volume, on thesecond tab you can select the wall that lies on the plane ofsymmetry and select "symmetry" as its property. You nowhave 1/2 the number of total cells, but will get the same result.BUT, realize that in some cases this may not hold true. Look at theturbulent wake behind a cylinder example and imagine modeling onlythe top half of that cylinder using a symmetry boundary. I'm notsure FloWorks will achieve the same result.
              • Dividing up a model
                James  Sidgwick

Thanks both Chris's. I shall try it out this afternoon,James

• Dividing up a model
                    James  Sidgwick

I have tried what you said, and when I change geometry, I get afew error messages (all error code 1), and the fluid volume isstated as being 0 - it says that some of the bodies produce invalidcontact with other bodies.  I always seem to get errormessages like that when I change the model in any way. What couldbe the problem? When I initially set it up, I didn't get theseissues, although when I revert the computational domain to it'soriginal settings, the messages do not disappear. This is obviouslyannoying, as I cannot change my model at all without the errormessages appearing. Any ideas anyone?

James