18 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 1:13 PM by Steve Calvert

How can I attach an appearance to a face in Visualize?

Steve Calvert

OK, just went through the MySolidworks tutorials on Visualize.  It's a cool tool but I couldn't find how to attach an appearance to a face.

Most of the time, when I'm ask to do a render, the files are already released in our PDM system so I do not have the write access to add appearances to the file in question.

Steve C

• Re: How can I attach an appearance to a face in Visualize?
          David Randle

Steve - If you import the file into Visualize using the "Automatic" grouping method (look for the Part Grouping dropdown in the Import Dialog that opens when you drag and drop and CAD file into Visualize) then you have the ability to assign Appearances inside Visualize based on the same hierarchy that exists in SolidWorks.

Import Dialog.jpg

John Stoltzfus

I have found it is much easier to set everything up in SW including all of the appearances and lighting, much easier to modify.  Adding appearances to any face is easy by opening up a folder in File Explorer and drag and drop an image right on to the face.  If you need the same appearance on other faces or extrudes, just edit the current face appearance and add all the faces and features you want. 

It is much easier to adjust the mapping as well...

Steve Calvert

Yes, I'd agree John but I was saying that when someone comes to me to do a rendering, the components I'll be using are already released and I don't have write access.

For instance.  This card reader that we use in our retail fuel dispensers is already released and the faces are colored black for the card portion.  Sometimes I want to change just that portion, which is black, to some other color.

Steve C

John Stoltzfus

Did you try a save as? - change the file name and you'll have write access. Then do another save as and overwrite the original file....

Steve Calvert

That's not good but it does work. 

Are you saying, then, that I cannot assign a totally different appearance to a face that doesn't already have something assigned to it?  :-(

Steve C

Rob Rodríguez

You can do this in Visualize by "splitting the part" and then selecting the triangles in the area (face, faces, etc) that you want to apply the appearance to and making a group.  But....................This can be a very tedious process depending on the geometry and how much you need to do.  Selecting 3 "faces" in SolidWorks might mean selecting 50 triangles in Visualize for example.   It's not an efficient or recommended way to work in my opinion.  "Painting" the model in SW before you import into Visualize is much faster and easier.

David Randle

Can you clarify a bit Steve based on the image you've shared?

What Rob suggested will work but its really as last resort. There should be better ways forward for you....

1. In Visualize, is everything that was assigned a black appearance in SolidWorks coming in as the same part? Meaning that when you select one of the areas assigned the black appearance using the Part Selector that all the other parts also assigned black are being selected? It could be that they are all separate parts but because they were assigned the same appearance in SolidWorks, selecting by appearance in Visualize is highlighting all the parts. This is simple to get around by dragging a new appearance in Visualize to each separate part assigned the black appearance in SolidWorks.

2. If the above situation is true, you can try selecting the "Retain Structure" option in the import dialog instead of Automatic. That will let you change the appearance assignment on a face by face basis. It's more cumbersome and will affect performance but if you need that level of control, you have it.

3. If all you're saying is that you want to change everything that is black in your image to a different appearance in Visualize, simply edit the appearance that is assigned to those parts by default in the Appearance tab in the Palette in Visualize by select that appearance, OR drag and drop a new appearance onto any part that has the black appearance assigned to it, OR right click on the material you want to assign from the Palette, choose "copy" then right click on the part or group of parts (by holding ctrl) then right clicking and choosing "Assign material name"

Steve Calvert

So, here's what I got in the past.  The area of my concern is the 4 faces around the "Card" showing the section on how to insert it into the reader.  As you can see below, the faces were not "black" at the part level.  In PV360 it was real easy to just select those faces and make them black but in Visualize it seems that I have to make these kinds of changes while I have write access.

Let me try your idea David, thanks

Steve C

David Randle

Ok, sounds good. If you post a screenshot of what it looks like after you get it info Visualize that may help me get an understanding of what may be happening and how to correct it.

Steve Calvert

OK, this is what I see when opening this project.  Note that the 4 faces in and around the credit card are all the same appearance as the main bezel surrounding them.

BINGO!!

I can now make a new appearance and apply that appearance to the faces.  Awesome, thanks

So, does doing it this way take longer to load and therefor render?

Steve C

Steve Calvert

Well it looks ok after rendering.

David Randle

Was this the result after using the "Retain Structure" option?

If so, that shouldn't be a noticeable performance decrease when rendering, but if you have a model with lots of parts and assemblies it will be slower to manipulate in Preview mode and generally slow down other items like the part lister, material lister etc.

If you can get this result using "Automatic" that would be a much better scenario ideally but if your models arn't too complex then maybe "Retain Structure" will work for you moving forward.

Great image right out the box by the way....I hope you're satisfied As you practice with more appearances and texture mapping you'll be able to add some really nice textures and effects like brushed metal, splatter paint, button glows etc.

Steve Calvert

I didn't notice the render time but then again I had walked away for a few minutes.

What does the "Retain Structure" do?

It does look like I'm going to have to discuss with all the Engineers here about setting up their designs to emulate the actual part.

Thanks, I'm not really after beauty, per se, but I would like it to look authentic.

Steve C

David Randle

"Retain Structure" maintains the same exact hierarchy as the CAD package, so that each and every individual face is a selectable and paintable part. The side effect of this import style is that it potentially generates many thousands if not hundreds of thousands of parts and assigning or changing appearances on tons of parts is time consuming too. Visualize isn't optimized to handle files with tons of parts. It can handle massive data sets in terms of geometry very well (providing you have the hardware to support it) but isn't so good with tons of parts. The other import styles intelligently group faces into what Visualize calls parts (either based on what appearance is assigned to them in CAD or whether they belong to a group in CAD etc. etc.) in order to simplify the model hierarchy and significantly reduce the number of parts.

For visualization purposes, having the model emulate the actual part is definitely the best way to go and is often very easy to do in something like SolidWorks. then you can use the Automatic or Appearance import styles and have nice, lightweight models with just the right parts that are easy to paint.

John Stoltzfus

You can delete all appearances or add over top or have 20 on one face - have each one a different transparency and they'll all shine through.  - Only you can decide what works for what you need to do, but all I know is what works best for me. 

Like I said - it is much easier to deal with the appearances in SW then Visualize, possibly not so if you have a premium license...

Just my 2 cents