2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 1:22 PM by Dale Jenne

can I translate a text file into a non uniform pressure distribution?

Dale Jenne

Is it possible to input a text file and output a non uniform pressure distribution? Specifically I have a text file with pressure at individual locations (cells) as an output from WAMIT (Wave Interaction Code). I'd like to be able input the text file as a non-uniform pressure distribution onto the structure to run FEA. I'm specifically interested in using this for scenarios where the pressure distribution is not easily defined as a polynomial.

• Re: can I translate a text file into a non uniform pressure distribution?
          Seckin Uslu

If the text file is not much bigger, you can look at this option

Example of nonuniform force distribution defined by a reference Cartesian coordinate system.

F (X,Y) = A + B*X + C*Y + D*X*Y + E*X^2 + F*Y^2

Where:

F (X,Y) = relative magnitude of force applied at a point with coordinates X and Y for the selected coordinate system.

• Re: can I translate a text file into a non uniform pressure distribution?
              Dale Jenne

Thanks for your reply Seckin. Unfortunately this approach won't work for what I'm trying to do. The data that I'm trying to translate doesn't correlate well with a polynomial, or any other equation for that matter (exponential, logarithmic, etc.). My pressure data is typically coming from a hydrodynamic code or other CFD code, and large pressure concentrations are typical. Due to these concentrations if I put the data into the above format it will lose many of the details I'm trying to capture. Ideally I would be able to transpose my pressure data onto a given face(s) using a pre-defined coordinate system.