4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 4:13 PM by Eric Blankinship

Sheet Specific Custom Annotations

Eric Blankinship

Hello All,

So a while back I had setup a drawing template system for my office so that title block information would be filled out in custom properties rather than by manual insertion so as when either additional sheets added, changed sheet size, or updating template format due to some corporate decision all the title block information would automatically fill in and populate the title block and be oriented correctly.  This works great but now I have an engineer requesting if he can have an annotation different in sheet 1 than sheet 2 yet still be inserted in this manner so as to automatically adjust when updating drawing templates.

I know I could make an additional template called "2nd Page template of X drawing size" but that would just add needless confusion to the system as it would give too many template options for engineers to choose from on start up.

Basically what I am wondering is if I can link an annotation to a property in custom properties in my template so that it will recognize what sheet it is on and will only activate on the desired sheet?  The key to the solution is has to work in a way to not really require any additional steps for the engineer and can't involve usage of macros as our IT group has those disabled on our work computers.

Thanks in advance to any insight people might have on this!

~Eric

• Re: Sheet Specific Custom Annotations
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Eric,

I'm pretty sure it can be done, but it might take a little back and forth here to get there.  I'm not real clear on what's going to be different between sheets one and two (the same note in a different location, or a completely different note), but in any case you should be able to create a second sheet format for the one engineer, and he could easily change his sheets to this second sheet format as needed.  The other alternative would be to create a new drawing template, already set up with sheets one and two as needed, for him to use, but it sounds like you don't want to do that.  Does this help?

Glenn

Eric Blankinship

Glenn,

Just to give an example of the thing I am trying to achieve.  For instance if a engineer has two versions of an assembly one being detailed on the first sheet while the second being on the second sheet and they want the Assembly P/N in the title block to be reflective of the part being shown.  The title block and annotation box is linked to a custom property that when they fill out in the custom properties called "Assembly Part Number"  and they fill in the information.  But the problem is that since both sheets use the same format it gives the same assembly Part Number for both.  I can create a 2nd property in my format called "Second Sheet Assembly Part Number" and that would work just fine from starting a new drawing as I can simply have my .drwdot file have multiple sheets.

The issue comes with needing to replace templates based on the .slddrt format.  We have already alot of drawing templates to choose from based on drawing type and having to update all of these every time our format changes and having the engineers have to sift through a larger list is not ideal.  I can do that if needed but I was hoping there was a way to setup the .slddrt file to recognize which page of the drawing it's being applied to so certain annotations are either active or innactive. Hope this explanation makes sense.

~Eric

Glenn Schroeder

I don't link title block notes to component properties, so this is out of my area of expertise (assuming I have such a thing), but will this drop-down help?  If not, hopefully someone else will reply with an idea or two.

Eric Blankinship

Glenn,

Thank You,  although that doesn't solve all potential needs for variation in the drawing title block it still does help.  I did setup the part/assembly default models to have similar information to automatically populate the title block but did not ever know about using that drop down.

Edit:  Upon further analysis it looks like I will need to change my part/assembly models to have their own custom properties set to configuration specific to get this to work but shouldn't be a big change.

~Eric