11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 3:05 PM by Glenn Schroeder

problem joining parts

William Swain

I have SW2016.   I have two parts in an assembly.  I've created a new third part under the assy for a join to create one part.    However, in 2016 - I pull down "Insert" and there is no features option.  I used the customization to grab the join command onto my tool bar.  But when I have the new part selected for a join, the command is greyed out.   The procedure under help does not seem to work.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

• Re: problem joining parts
          J. Mather

I think you probably want to Combine three solid bodies in one part file (not assembly file).

William Swain

Thank you.  I am not sure if combine is the same, but - I am trying to use join as I want to make sure the parts underneath are still retained as parts.   Does combine allow that? 

I notice the "more like this" "re: combining/joing parts" has a note to be in part edit.  But, following the help instructions, the new part sketch is closed,  it is renamed, and then I go to insert, feature, join as per the help.  Not usre why 2016 changed menu's, but no "insert/feature" is on the menu and the command "join" that I grabbed from the customization tab is greyed out.

Again, thanks in advance.

Bill

Mark Biasotti

Yes, but as J Mather suggests, you can insert two of the parts into the 3rd part using insert>part then position and then combine the  3 bodies.

Mark

Deepak Gupta

You need to edit the part in assembly mode. Attached is video showing the steps.

William Swain

Thanks for the video.   That was helpful.

Deepak and Sagar,  your responses are gratefully appreciated.

The purpose of joining was to export a simple one piece STEP file for my customer.   I did not want to lose the original parts.  The join video looks like the output I can then save as STEP file as a combined entity in a singular part.

I would presume there will b other options available for the export as well? that I had not considered, other than the single part.  Sorry, if I didn't mentioned

Regards,

Bill

Jason Edelman

If you just need to group them together for an export, my method is; 'Ctrl' select parts intended to be 'grouped', (hold Ctrl) right click & select Form New Subassembly, open newly created assembly, save as exported file, then close files with out saving.

As with anything in SW there are mutable paths to the same result, but some are better practices than the others...

Best, Jason E.

Glenn Schroeder

I don't believe that I've ever done it, and don't know if it will work for you, but you can save an Assembly directly as a STEP file.

William Swain

It does save as two STEP parts, vs one.  Although the STEP shows the parts mated correctly, they are still two parts.

I think the help has been very helpful.

Thanks to all.

I liked the SW has "multiple paths" to the same desired outcome.   Although some harder paths than other.  I think I've worked mostly traveled the hard paths as the easy paths are buried in some SW treasure chest of productivity enhancements. :-)

Bill

Glenn Schroeder

William Swain wrote:

I liked the SW has "multiple paths" to the same desired outcome. Although some harder paths than other. I think I've worked mostly traveled the hard paths as the easy paths are buried in some SW treasure chest of productivity enhancements. :-)

I imagine it's that way for everyone learning something new.  First we learn how to do something, then we learn better ways to do it.

Deepak Gupta

William Swain wrote:

I would presume there will b other options available for the export as well? that I had not considered, other than the single part.

Bill

You can also save assembly as part, open that part and do combine bodies and finally save as STEP.

If you export out as Parasolid then you can save all assembly components in one single file.

Sagar Duggal

Hi There,

As I can understand,joinig the part in ass is not the good idea.

Rather try to join in part environment by using combine feature if you dont want motion  respectively .

Hope it helps

br/Sagar Duggal

(Robotics Engineer)