10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 1:33 PM by Carmelo Treviso

Yep, This is a bug. Who checks this crap anyway!

Carmelo Treviso

2013 Error LOL!.png

I kid you not no one knows how to check their software anymore. I posted this before after having done multiple upgrades on my PC since 2011. Well I said "It's Time"

I wiped everything, complete clean install, long reformat on hard drive bare bones start from zero crap. Clean install of OS, a day an a half of MS updates, clone clean image then finally a fresh install of SW 2016 SP 3.0 and then today, one day into using my brand new shiny virgin install, yes you guessed it the stupid error pops up.......LMFAO! that all I can say!

I didn't even import my old setting fearing I would corrupt my clean install. HA! This takes the cake. Great Just French Dudes........Start the death of SW countdown clock...........OnShape will be cleaning yours within 5 years. To bad, I really love the software since 2003. Just my rant of the day.

• Re: Yep, This is a bug. Whole checks this crap anyway!
          Artem Taturevych

It looks to me you have SolidWorks 2013 installed previously on this machine and it wasn't unregistered correctly so the COM components are still remain in the registry. Could you please open the 'Tools->Addins' menu. What path do you see when you hover the mouse?

if you do not need Forum add-in you may just uncheck this add-in (both startup and active checkboxes) so SolidWorks won't try to load it and you will not see this message anymore.

Thanks,

Artem

Steve Calvert

Interesting, I got the same message while in SW2015.  I clicked OK and the next message said I should start the add-in.  I went to the add-ins and turned it on and low and behold, everything work just fine.  What's the big deal?

BTW, turning on the forum add-in slows the SW process down (or so I'm told by the application Engineers), why would you really need to be in the forum inside SW?

Steve C

Carmelo Treviso

I tried your process Steve but it did not work. Unlike you I did not have this issue in 2015, which is also a mystery. As for startup times? Its so small I couldn't tell the difference in my system. Not sure your hardware specs but even though I built my PC in 2011, I've made incremental updates over the years (Video Card, RAM and SSD). My processor is over 3 GHz and runs well with 4 cores when rendering and doesn't miss a beat with full graphic quality enabled.

For me it's just a quick way to get to the forum VS launching a browser or going to the desktop for a shortcut. Just personal preference. If it doesn't work correctly I'd rather have SW just take it out of the software. Removing bloat speeds everything up right?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Carmelo,

I'm sorry about the confusion, but the explanation of the error message text containing "2013" is that when this was originally implemented in SOLIDWORKS 2013, the error text was coded to say 2013 instead of being generic, so it has nothing to do with any remnants of SOLIDWORKS 2013 on your machine.. This has already been fixed in our development code for SOLIDWORKS 2017 so it will be more generic and helpful and now, looking like the following (and we are looking at possibly back porting it to SP04):

ForumMessage.jpg

But, in your discussion with Steve, it sounds like you have already tried to enable it in the add-ins dialog so I am not exactly sure what is going on and it isn't a generic problem we have heard about.

I see that the forum tab is actually visible in your task pane. What happens if you click on that tab?

Thanks,

Jim

• Re: Yep, This is a bug. Who checks this crap anyway!
                        Carmelo Treviso

Hi Jim, Here are two additional screen shots. As you can see in the Add-Ins tab, Forums is checked. When I'm in the task pane and click the forums Icon I get the pop up error message. When I click Ok the task pane does show the forums links and if I select one it does launch to the login in screen to have access. So basically this would work just fine other then the nag pop-up about the add-in for 2013 not found. Maybe if this was implemented in SP4.0 the nag pop up would no longer come up as your coding would direct to the correct location or see that what it needs is really there.

At first I thought it was an error due to multiple updates over the years from version to version but seeing your post about the coding of this I see I'll see this for at least a year unless you do indeed implement it. Not sure how many other users out there experience this but after awhile it does nag the hell out of you and send a bad message to the user that yes we know its an issue but wait till next year. not very professional in my mind as we build medical products and the last thing an end user wants to here from us is that we know we have this but tough luck wait till 2017 when we patch it.

Sorry to be blunt but perception is the killer of all businesses. If customers perceive lack of interest on customers input then they move on sooner or later.

It's nice we get flashy stuff in new versions, I get that and I love the added features, but push out the simple fixes as fast as possible because its more customer friendly.

I don't write software or code so I don't know the process or resources needed but it's lacking. I read a lot of the issues people have, some sound simple and some are over my head.

I think SP schedules are antiquated. It make the software sound bug ridden already. SP0 no one wants to install. SP5 is the last one. Users wait till SP2 before they really consider to update the software. By then I'm already seeing the "Hey register for SolidWorks World 2017" even before I even install 2016, starting to think why bother? I'll wait till 2017 and the cycle continues.

I use Google Chrome as an example (yes I know it different) but they push out patches as they fix flaws all the time. Maybe that's a bad example but I think you catch my drift here.

No different from my VAR telling me about a recent issue I had with performing an Emboss on a surface. It was not a perfect cylinder but more of a lofted surface. Chose the option offset form surface no problem, went to the other side of the plane to do a similar feature and that failed.

Out of frustration I called my VAR he remotely followed the steps I performed and sure enough if failed for him too. Then I get the admission that its a know bug. Well great, here's the work around. I cringe when I have a deadline on something and hope it doesn't blow up in my face because the last thing an employer wants to here is that its a software bugs and the VAR and SW is aware it exists.

Sorry for the long rant on such a trivial issue but had to get that off my chest. I'm sure you guys are doing your best and trying to push out fixes as best as you can.

I appreciate the attention given here. I do hope you consider it for SP4 On a side note you may want to look at reevaluation the emboss/deboss work flow. I use this a lot and find it should be simplified much like the thread feature that was implemented in this release.

Thanks again Jim, I hope this answers your initial question.

Add-Ins Tab.png

Screen after hitting OK on Error.png

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Carmelo,

I think you misinterpreted what I was stating was a known bug and what is fixed. The only thing that we are aware of that is a bug is that the wording of the message is wrong. When the add-in is turned ON, it should not give this message and I am not aware of any other reports of it, nor can I reproduce it. That is why I was asking for more information; to try to understand what exactly is happening and possibly track down why this is occurring for you, but not other users. Of course, if other users are seeing this issue, I hope they will post to this thread so maybe we can find something common that is causing it. We are in fact looking at back porting even the text message change to SOLIDWORKS 2016, but that won't solve your real problem. You'll just get a the new message thatI posted in my response. I wish we could reproduce your problem and fix it, but I'm at a loss as to why it is occurring.

Thanks,

Jim

Carmelo Treviso

I understand Jim. Like I said this was an issue I had prior to 2015 and after the 2016 install it started happening. Again I decided to start with a clean box so I did a license release, Uninstall then proceeded to wipe my entire hard drive. I went as far as wiping my MBR and doing a full reformat of my SSD (As clean as an install as possible). All fragments of all installed software were eliminated and once my OS was installed and installed all required applications I even rebuilt my user interface layout from scratch (I used screenshots prior to make sure I was as close as possible to my original settings. Again I deleted all my previous setting from copy wizard as well. I don't know if this is helpful or not but if I'm a lone case I guess I'll be seeing this in my sleep. Hope other come forward.

Only posting I saw in the thread with a similar issue was with 2015 and he disabled the add-in then re-enabled it and it fixed his issue of it. I attempted his fix but it didn't work for me.

Keep up the good fight Jim, Thanks.