5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2007 8:51 PM by Eddie Cyganik

Auto-population of Materials Field

Zane Miller
      Hi, I'm a relative newbie to the SW drafting package.  I'musing the default borders for to create some drawings, but the"MATERIAL" field doesn't automatically populate with thematerial I assigned to the part.

When I "Edit sheet format" and mouse over the field, itsays it's assigned to $PRPSHEET:{Material}

Is there a different string that needs to be there to populate fromthe material property of the part?

Thanks!

--Zane
        • Auto-population of Materials Field
          Charles Culp
          The $PRP properties come from the Custom Properties of the partfile ($PRPSHEET comes from the sheet properties).  This isfound in File>Properties... The menu that comes up sets all yourproperties.  Fill in "Property Name" with"Material", Then in the "Value" select"Material" from the drop-down box.  It should thenauto-fill in the exact term, which will be something like"SW-Material@@Default@Part.SLDPRT"...

There is a short-cut, too.  $PRP:"SW-Material". You should use the above method though, as all the"custom properties" should be filled out appropriately.
              Zane Miller
              Great, that helps a lot.

So if I want this to show up for all of my parts, I need to applythe custom property to all parts individually.  Can I add thatfield to the .prtdot template and have it propogate?
                  Feroz Mahomed
                  Zane,

Yes, you should create all your custom properties and save them in your template.

Feroz Mahomed
                    Charles Culp
                    Zane,

You definitely can.  I have all of the custom properties setin my template, with a space " " in their value. (Description, DrawingNumber, etc).  I have DrawnByalready filled out with my name.

Some people even have an assortment of templates, one for each ofthe material they regularly use.  That way they just click onthe template named after the material, and most of the customproperties (and material in the model) are already set.  Youcan even change the color of the models, so when you put them inassemblies, each material looks different (red for steel, blue foraluminum).
                        Eddie Cyganik
                        Charles & Others,

Just a warning on the use of a "Space" or " ".

Don't use them.

Back in 1999/2000, we had all of our Custom File Properties defined with a default value of a " " (space). The problem was that some users filled in the properties by swiping the area to input data, thereby overstrikiking and removing the space. (This was a good thing.) HOWEVER; We had other users who would click in the value field and leave the space as the first character followed by the actual information. This in itself was not a problem but when the data went from SolidWorks to SmarTeam (PDM) and then onto Oracle (ERP), Oracle would attempt to read the input, encounter the space and then ignore the rest of the information.
                        This was very very bad!
                        After fixing all of the properties with spaces, we changed the default value of all file properties to "ChangeMe".

Signed;
                        "No More Space"