45 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2016 9:54 AM by Jim Steinmeyer

I love the helpful popup displays!   NOT!

Jim Steinmeyer

I usually don't use the heads up display to select a view. However now in 2016 SP3 I am having more issues where my model is suddenly lost in space and hitting a predefined view gets it back quickly. Of course it helps to be able to select the view you desire. Guess which view I would like to select. Anyone know how to disable this "help"?

Capture.PNG

• Re: I love the helpful popup displays!   NOT!
          Sworks User

Hello Jim,

Similar question was raised at view selector preview disable

I checked the SPR and the status shows it is still "Open". 

Cheers,

Vineet

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Jim,

It is supposed to be shown in the right corner of the graphics window, not in the center. Does it always display in the top-center for you? Can you show a full screenshot of your window so I can get an idea of the exact placement? Can you also indicate what graphics card and driver you have as I'd really like to get to the bottom of why it is displaying in the center for some people and not others. We cannot reproduce it displaying in the center of the screen nor do we have any SPRs reported about it displaying in the center. We do have reports of problems on DPI settings higher than 100%, but in these cases, the preview is in the upper right corner, but so large that it is covering up part of the cube.

We may add an option to disable it, but we'd really also like to figure out why it is displaying in the center and fix that so that we can overcome that problem instead of forcing people to turn it off to get around that issue that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim,

Thanks for the attention. Here are a screen shot of both monitors and one of the graphics information. Yes this is where the flyout normally shows, one reason i seldom use this feature. It would be nice if the flyout was about 1/4 size of what it is now.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Jim,

I have the same exact graphics card and I just installed the same exact driver and I still can't reproduce the problem (although I am logged into that machine remotely so I won't be able to test with the second monitor attached until I'm back in the office next week). What OS are you running and also what resolution on each monitor? Also do you have nView Desktop Manager enabled? If so, does it fix the problem if you temporarily disable it? If so, then we can go down the path of figuring out what option in Desktop Manager is causing the problem.

Thanks,
                    Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim,

Here is another issue that may be related. It's not bad but I don't suppose this is how you intended it to show.

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Jim,

Out of curiosity, why don't you have the document window maximized within the SOLIDWORKS window. With it maximized, we can handle pushing of the UI controls in the graphics area. Without it maximized, I don't believe we can. If you maximize the document, you will see that there is no overlap.

Thanks,
                        Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Because every model or drawing opens that way? Oops   I do have a fight when I attempt to use SW on both screens and have a different model on each. They both come in smaller and not centered. Kind of a mess.

Craig Schultz

Hey Jim speaking of maximizing.....am I completely missing it, or did SW get rid of the "Maximize on open" option?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Craig,

Yes, it was removed back in SOLIDWORKS 2013 because the behavior just followed either the current state of SOLIDWORKS if there are documents already open:

• If the active document is maximized, the next one will open maximized.
                                  • If one or more documents are open non-maximized, then the next one will open non-maximized.

And if no documents are open, the next one will open in the same state as the last document that WAS open.

This is standard Windows behavior. Were there cases where you thought that option had an advantage?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Maybe (other than my screen not being maximized) the rest of my issues are related.

Capture.PNG

Jim Wilkinson

What are you trying to show in this image? Is there something wrong? And what do you mean by "the rest of your issues"?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

It seems that every time I attempt to add a weld symbol to a drawing, or create or modify a note the text box opens over top of what I am attempting to work on. It is nice to be able to see the text box but every time I go to do something I have to drag the "convenient" help out of the way before I can attempt to work. It just makes more work having to drag the text box before you can do anything. Very much like attempting to use the predefined views but the dialog box opens right where I need to select. Maybe there is a way to dock these things somewhere other than right in the middle of what I am working on. That would be a great help.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Jim,

The behavior of most dialogs in SOLIDWORKS is that they remember the last position where the user left them and will come back up in that position. There are a few exceptions like the view orientation dialog (space bar) which comes up at the mouse cursor. It also looks like the Weld Dialog is not programmed to remember it's location; it always comes up at the middle of the screen. I'm surprised that users haven't reported this; it wasn't logged in our SPR system but I just added it as SPR# 951110. So contact your reseller and ask them to add you to that SPR so you get notified when it is fixed.

Also note however that something else could override the SOLIDWORKS behavior. This is why I asked about the nView Desktop Manager. It has options for "Dialog box repositioning" as shown below. However, you already clarified that the view selector preview problem is happening with nView turned off and I also can't get it to reproduce with the nView dialog repositioning options turned on, so there must be something else we haven't discovered yet.

nViewDesktopManager.png

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim,

Thank you for your continued support, apparently even when you are away from work. It appears that we must be dealing with something overwriting SW's controls as none of my dialog boxes remain where I attempt to place them to get them out of the way.

On the screen shot you showed my windows manager shows the repositioning set to "No Repositioning". I set it to "Move to Application Display" as you show without any successful results. One of the frustrations is when working with BOMs the text display box is in the way for working with the columns and no matter how often I move it it comes right back in the way.

Capture1.PNG

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Jim,

As a test, when you hit the spacebar, does the view orientation dialog come up at your mouse or in the center of the screen?

As a second test, If you go to Tools, Options and then move it to one side of the screen and hit OK. Then go to Tools, Options again, does it come up in the middle of the screen or where you left it?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim,

Using Tools; options opens centered even after moving. The view orientation dialog opens in the lower left as shown no matter where the cursor is.

Capture.PNG

Jim Wilkinson

OK. you have the View Selector turned on in the view orientation dialog. Can you turn that off, then close it, and then hit the spacebar. Does the dialog come up in the center of the screen, just to the left of the cursor, or somewhere else?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

That is a start. The View orientation dialog now opens with the top edge centered slightly to the right of the cursor.

Jim Wilkinson

OK. Interesting. Let's try something.

Make sure SOLIDWORKS is not running. Then go to your Start menu, search for regedit.exe and run it. Once in there, expand the tree to go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks/SOLIDWORKS 2016 and within that part of the tree, right click on User Interface and choose rename and rename it it "User Interface old".

Then start up SOLIDWORKS and see if the problem with the preview on the view cube is solved. Also see if the Options dialog will remember its position properly. Note that you may lose some of your UI customization when doing this, but it may help us troubleshoot it. Also note that you should be very careful when changing things in the registry and make sure you only make the change I suggest.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Ok,

I edited the file name and now the Options dialog box stays where placed. However the view preview still covers the upper part of the view cube and appears to be larger covering more of the cube.

Jim Wilkinson

OK, can you please do two things:

1) Post a screenshot of what the view cube now looks like.

2) Go to the registry editor (regedit.exe), right click on the "User Interface old" item in the tree and choose Export and name it UserInterfaceOld.reg and attach it to your reply so I can take a look at it.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Here you go.

Thanks for all your help. Not getting the option to attach file. I'll post this and then see if I can get it.

Capture.PNG

Jim Steinmeyer

Here you go, I didn't get the advanced option when using the "notification" browser.

Jim Wilkinson

Thanks Jim,

Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce it on my machine with your User Interface registry. I'm not able to reproduce the preview positioning problem or the Options dialog positioning problem. Can you try a couple more things?

1) Make sure SOLIDWORKS is not running. In the registry, rename your current "User Interface" to "User Interface new" and then rename the "User Interface Old" to just "User Interface". This should put back your original User Interface registry. Then test the Options dialog. Does it now go back to always coming up in the center of the screen or does it now remember the last position where you left it?

2) In the registry, can you navigate up the tree one level to "SOLIDWORKS 2016". Right mouse button on it, Export and save it as SW2016.reg and then attach that to the forum. This is the last thing I can think of to try to reproduce the preview position problem on my machine. Otherwise, I believe it is something else on your machine overriding the positioning.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim,

When I changed the user interfaces back the options dialog stayed on the side where I placed it. here is my  SW reg file.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi  Jim,

OK, so does everything now seem to be positioning OK except for the View Selector preview?

Even with your full registry, I still cannot reproduce that problem, so I think there is something else on your machine, outside of SOLIDWORKS, that is re-positioning it. Unfortunately, the only thing that I am aware of that would do any kind of UI re-positioning is the nView Desktop Manager. But, if it can do it, there are very likely other OS settings or utilities that could do it to. Unfortunately, I've come up with nothing through Google searches for it.

I really do want to find a solution for it since there have been a couple of other reports of it on the forum, but unfortunately, unless I can reproduce it, I don't know what else to look at. Using your SOLIDWORKS settings on a machine with the same graphics card and driver should reproduce it if it were a pure SOLIDWORKS problem.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim, you are probably right that it is not a SW caused problem. My view display still comes in bad and I and not get the display dialog stay where I set it when creating notes but I will have to deal with it. I do appreciate your efforts in attempting to solve this.

Thank you

Jim

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Jim,

I finally got it to reproduce. I had missed your comment about the toolbar for the BOM columns. From that image, I figured out that you are likely running at 125% display scaling at the operating system level. I switched to 125% on my machine and can now reproduce the preview on top of the view selector in the center of the screen as like yours. I have updated the SPR description to cover your case. This is logged as SPR# 918446, so if you want to track it, please report it to your VAR so you can be notified when it is fixed. The only workaround right now is to change the display scaling in the OS down to 100%.

I am not able to reproduce the problem of the the toolbar overlapping the column headers on the BOM even with the DPI at 125% or 150%. Does that happen consistently for you? If so, can you tell me exactly what DPI you have your text scaling at in the OS? It always shows up just above the BOM for me with no overlap. Also, you mention creating notes. Are you talking about in the BOM or separate notes? If seperate notes, can you post a picture of what that looks like for you? It also should appear just above the note edit box.

Thanks,

Jim

Alin Vargatu

So this is not the Hydravision (AMD) setting?

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim,

Yes I am running at 125% ( the old eyes aren't what they used to be). With tables the display comes in as I showed. For notes it comes in right at the top of the of the note as shown below. The biggest problem is that I need to adjust sizes of the table columns (common need) I have to move the display. Or if I have a split BOM and need to align the sections by the top (again common) it is also in the way. Can it be locked somewhere or moved for more room?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim,

I have changed my global scaling to 100% and that seems to have cleared up most of the problems. Even the weld dialog is smaller so it doesn't cover up so much of the drawing. The view dialog is now in the upper right corner and the display toolbar is now above the tables when I edit them. I still find it to close and will need to move it most of the time but it is better. Of course now that the icons are smaller I am really missing the 2015 contrast but hopefully progress is being made there.

Thank you for your time in getting to the cause of my issues.

Jim

Jim Wilkinson

Thanks for confirming Jim. I'm still at a loss as to why your tables toolbar is overlapping the column headers at 125%. I'll continue to try to reproduce that, but at least it is good to know that it is a DPI scaling issue (as it is fine at 100%). Now we just need to figure out the trigger that makes it overlap at 125%.

I am curious as to why you say that the formatting toolbar is too close at 100% if it does not overlap. Please describe why you feel you need to move it so we can re-evaluate its placement.

Thanks,
                                                                                                                      Jim

Jim Wilkinson

And, just to clarify since you said "now that the icons are smaller", the icon size at 100% and 125% is exactly the same. The text size, spacing between icons, and some button sizes (that grow when more room is needed for the larger text) are increased, but not the icon sizes themselves. They are 20x20 at both 100% and 125% as seen in the images below.

100%:

100.png

125%:

125.png

If you want larger icons, you can choose the medium size under Tools, Customize, Toolbars, but depending on your resolution and monitor size, they may seem a bit too big.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim,

After switching between 100% and 125% a couple of times I think I am getting to understand where my issues are a little better and it may be my methodology as much as anything.

I have been working on several drawings that require that I split the BOM to get it to fit the drawing. I have been dragging the BOM off the  sheet and splitting it, then I zoom in and when I do that it places the menu over the BOM and I have to move it. Then when I relocate the BOM segments the menu gets in the way again as I attempt to align the segments. Much of the problem appears to come from the menu staying in place while I scroll in/out and move the view on the screen while the menu is showing. It would be nice to be able move it away and have it remember to stay away while I am doing this. I understand having it close to reduce mouse movement normally but there are times that it would be nice to be able to create some separation ( or simply keep it hidden as it is not needed at all). The following shots show times where the display is "in the way". In the first two I have selected the BOM and then scrolled in. Maybe if the display stayed attached to the BOM it wouldn't get in the way but that might not work right either. The third view shows I have selected the first section and now have to pick away somewhere if I want to select the next one. Again, maybe I just need to reorder my methodology.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture1.PNG

As far as the icon sizes that must have been a psychological effect with all the windows driven commands being smaller and hard to see. I did the screen shots like you did and they are the same. The medium sized icons do show up better although they do crowd the toolbars. I may just stay with them until we get more color again.

Thank you

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Jim and others,

A quick note that SPR#918446 has been fixed in SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP04 so the preview window should no longer overlap the view selector as it had previously when the DPI is set to 125% or above.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Brian Fee

It is caused by the graphics display setting in your PC, if the graphics resolution is not set high enough then this happens, it happened to me on both my PC and my other monitor and the support of my Solidworks reseller gave me this solution and it worked.

Try this and see if it solves your problem.