15 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 4:35 PM by Patrick Martin

Command Manager constantly vanished when switching between open documents

Patrick Martin

Hello,

I've searched everywhere and cannot find anyone else with this specific issue.

Any time I open a new document or even use Ctrl+Tab to change between open documents, I have to reopen Command Manager by right-clicking on the top bar and checking the box next to it to turn it on. This has been going on a few days after numerous computer and program restarts. I tried resetting my Toolbar settings to Default and that didn't work. I thought I could push past it but this is now annoying the heck out of me.

I'm running Solidworks 2016 x64 Edition SP 2.0.

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!

-Patrick

• Re: Command Manager constantly vanished when switching between open documents
          Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum (if no one else has done that yet).  I'm pretty sure there isn't a setting that controls that behavior, and I don't remember anyone else reporting it here.  If no one else replies with a better idea I'd suggest a clean un-install of SW and then re-install it.  If that doesn't work you might want to get your VAR (Value Added Reseller, the folks you bought SolidWorks from) involved.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Patrick,

This sounds very strange. To help investigate, can you go to the Copy Settings Wizard in the Start menu under SOLIDWORKS 2016, SOLIDWORKS Tools and then save out your settings and post them back here?

Thanks,

Jim

Patrick Martin

So this is interesting. I went through the SolidWorks Copy Settings Wizard, tried saving my settings, and was faced with this error message:

"Cannot load SOLIDWORKS settings information from 'patrick.martin'

No SOLIDWORKS settings detected."

Maybe that's the issue? Is my settings info somehow corrupt?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Patrick,

You are getting that message when you are trying to save the settings? If that is the case, you may not have SOLIDWORKS settings in your registry. Is this a new installation of SOLIDWORKS and it has been happening since you started using it? Perhaps you don't have permission to the registry for it to write settings there?

Thanks,
                    Jim

Patrick Martin

I've had SolidWorks installed on this machine for 3 months now and have not had this issue. I did go through a SP upgrade, but I do not think this began when that occurred. It seems pretty random.

The lack of permissions could be the issue. This is happening on my work PC which has permission restrictions to certain file locations due to how IT has set up the company computers. Do you know which directory I should be looking in to request write access?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Patrick,

These settings are stored in what is called the registry. It is not a folder/file location but part of the operating system. Within the registry, your settings are stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks/

Can you try something? This may tell us whether you have a permissions problem or not. And if not, it may help troubleshoot further.

Make sure SOLIDWORKS is not running. Then go to your Start menu, search for regedit.exe and run it. Once in there, expand the tree to go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks/SOLIDWORKS 2016 and within that part of the tree, right click on User Interface and choose rename and rename it it "User Interface old".

Then start up SOLIDWORKS and see if the problem is solved. Note that you may lose some of your customization when doing this, but it may help us troubleshoot it. Also note that you should be very careful when changing things in the registry and make sure you only make the change I suggest.

Thanks,

Jim

Patrick Martin

I followed your instructions, renaming the "User Interface" folder to "User Interface old". I tried opening a file, pinning the "File, Edit, etc." bar (which also unpins itself every time I close SolidWorks), opened the Command Manager, closed SolidWorks, reopened a file, and it was back to the way it was sans File bar or Command Manager.

I'm assuming renaming the file was to hopefully force SolidWorks to create a new User Interface folder? When I went back to the director and checked, there was no User Interface folder and the one I renamed was still called "User Interface old". Has SolidWorks been potentially told to look for its settings elsewhere? Or has it lost association with that Software/Solidworks/SOLIDWORKS 2016 directory?

Thanks for all your help!

-Patrick

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Patrick,

Yes, you are correct, that renaming the User Interface folder was intended for the system to recreate it from the defaults.

Are you positive you are doing these changes in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? If you did it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, please change the "User Interface old" back to "User Interface" in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE location and then redo it in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER. BTW...we don't define these things; it is how Microsoft works. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is the default definition for the machine that is set at SOLIDWORKS install and then is not changed. Then, when a individual user starts SOLIDWORKS for the first time, the settings are copied to HKEY_CURRENT_USER for the particular login. You could have different users logging onto the machine and the settings for each individual user is stored in their own HKEY_CURRENT_USER (that is how different users can customize how the UI and system settings looks to them).

If you did actually make the changes in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then something else is happening on the machine to your user profile. I can think of at least 3 things that might be happening if you have an IT department managing the machine (and there could be many more):

• Something is locked down with the permissions of your registry so as you change things in SOLIDWORKS, it can't properly save it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
                                    • You are using roaming profiles (this is a Microsoft functionality that allows settings like HKEY_CURRENT_USER to be carried from one machine to another. So you could modify your SOLIDWORKS on one machine, and log onto another machine, and your customizations would be there too.
                                    • There are some scripts that IT is running that are resetting or restoring settings in the registry.

So, please confirm you have actually changed HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and if so, then you should probably get your IT department involved. If you instead changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, please see my instructions above for redoing with HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Thanks,

Jim

Patrick Martin

Quick update - through further use, SolidWorks did actually create a new User Interface folder. I'm unsure why it did not originally do this. Command Manager, however, still will not stay open document-to-document.

I confirmed that I did do the User Interface rename process through the HKEY_CURRENT_USER structure. Considering the successful User Interface recreation, should I still try roping my IT department into this?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Patrick,

Sorry about the delay. I am at a loss as to what might be happening because we haven't seen this before. Can you record and post a video of the behavior just so I can make sure to understand? It certainly sounds like something not right with your registry since this is where these UI customization settings are stored, so you may want to ask your IT if there are any permission issues or types of things they are doing with the registry that might affect SOLIDWORKS ability to read/write from your HKEY_CURRENT_USER area of the registry.

Thanks,

Jim

Patrick Martin

I can't really do a video, but I can attach a series of screen grabs.

When I open SolidWorks, it looks like this with no "File" menu.

Screen Grab 1.JPG

If I then open a part (new or existing) it looks like this with no Command Manager:

Screen Grab 2.JPG

I can then pin the "File" menu and also open the command manager by right clicking on the menu bar to get it to look how I want it to and how it normally does.

Screen Grab 3.JPG

When I close the part or open a new one, the "File" menu remains but Command Manager is not open in the new part. I would have to reopen it as I did before. Here's immediately after opening a new part. (Sans Command Manager)

Screen Grab 4.JPG

If I then close SolidWorks completely and reopen it, it will reopen without the File pinned.

Screen Grab 5.JPG

Hope this helps at all. I will check with IT regarding permissions. Thanks again for all your help and feedback.

-Patrick

Ed Horne

Hello Patrick,

I just updated to service pack 3 and I'm having the same issue. Just sharing the fact that you're not alone.

Thanks for the right click tip to get it back as it just started and I was closing SW to get it back. When it goes away the Command mang. button is actually grayed out.

Haven't had it happen often enough to be able to reproduce it intentionally but has occurred several times this morning.

Ed