6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 4:34 AM by David Somekh

SolidCAM2015 + SolidWorks + EPDM = ???

Chris B.

Anybody else having issues between SolidCAM 2015 and EPDM?

We upgraded to SolidCAM 2015.  Now the CAM data is bundled within the SolidWorks .sldprt file.  It used to be saved as a separate .prz file.

This new method seems to be causing issues with our EPDM system.

When we open the first file from the EPDM vault with SolidCAM data, it works fine.  We can see all the CAM data.

However, when we open a second file from the EPDM vault with SolidCAM data, it says "CAM MILLING not found" for the FIRST part.

No matter how many parts we try to open from the vault, SolidCAM is still hung up on trying to find the CAM data from the very first part.

If we close SolidWorks and start a new session, we can open another file with CAM data just fine.  But again trying to open a second file with CAM data fails.

Outside of the vault, we can open as many CAM data .sldprt files as we want, it works fine.  As soon as we open one from inside the vault, we cannot open any more, whether inside or outside the vault.  It gets hung up trying to open the CAM data from the first file we open inside the vault.

It's counter productive to have to close SolidWorks every time we want to open a different.sldprt with CAM data.

Has anyone seen this before?
      Is there any fix?

EPDM 2015 (Build 15.4)

SW 2015 SP4

SolidCAM 2015

• Re: SolidCAM2015 + SolidWorks + EPDM = ???
          David Somekh

Hi Chris

I am David Somekh from SolidCAM development team.

Can you please post a screenshot of the error?

Thanks!

Jim Sculley

Chris B. wrote:

Anybody else having issues between SolidCAM 2015 and EPDM?

We upgraded to SolidCAM 2015. Now the CAM data is bundled within the SolidWorks .sldprt file. It used to be saved as a separate .prz file.

It doesn't have to be.  That is a setting that you can control.

This new method seems to be causing issues with our EPDM system.

When we open the first file from the EPDM vault with SolidCAM data, it works fine. We can see all the CAM data.

However, when we open a second file from the EPDM vault with SolidCAM data, it says "CAM MILLING not found" for the FIRST part.

No matter how many parts we try to open from the vault, SolidCAM is still hung up on trying to find the CAM data from the very first part.

I see the same behavior here is SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP2 and SolidCAM 2015 SP3 HF5.

Outside of the vault, we can open as many CAM data .sldprt files as we want, it works fine. As soon as we open one from inside the vault, we cannot open any more, whether inside or outside the vault. It gets hung up trying to open the CAM data from the first file we open inside the vault.

Are you sure about this?  I used Copy Tree to copy my two test files from the vault to a location outside the vault and I get the same error on the files outside the vault.  Thinking that EPDM may have caused the problem, I made two brand new files outside the vault, and saw the same error.

If I clear the Auto-open single CAM-part checkbox, then things seem to work correctly both inside and outside the vault.

The whole process is pretty unstable.  I had multiple SOLIDWORKS crashes just while doing this testing.  I don't recall having any such problems when using the prz files.

Chris B.

Thanks for the external .prz tip. Apparently my boss already knew that, and said SolidCAM had said they thought the internal version would work better with EPDM.

According to our SolidCAM support call last week:

Even when the CAM data is internal to the SolidWorks part, SolidCAM still opens and saves the CAM data file into another temp folder anyway, to be able to open it in SolidWorks.  When you close the part file, it re-writes that CAM file back into the SolidWorks file, even if nothing’s changed.

When a file is checked in in the vault, it cannot re-write that file, so that file is left dangling there, and no other SolidWorks parts can be opened, because they all reference that dangling file for some reason. Until we shut down and restart SolidWorks.

So it (appears to be) a flaw with SolidCAM that we will not be able to open more than one part at a time with SolidCAM data in it from within the vault.

Also, EPDM then sees that newly saved cam portion of the file as an incremental change, and increases the version. Even if nothing has changed.

David Somekh

Hi Chris

What is best phone number to reach you at?

Also, can you give me the name of the SolidCAM support person you spoke with?

Thanks,

David

SolidCAM Development