1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 2:57 AM by Sworks User

Curve through XYZ points does not update when reference txt file is updated

Ben R.

When rebuilding the model, the file isn't checked and the curve isn't updated.

I'm trying to make a wing with a single part file that can support multiple airfoils. The simplest method to make the wing seems to be to generate two XYZ curves and loft between the two. I can generate the curves with a program, and save them to the appropriate .txt files. The XYZ curves reference those files. Everything is linked appropriately, but I can't figure out a way to update the curves without clicking through 'edit feature,' browse, select the same file, etc.

Is there a "force total rebuild" or "reload references" command? Perhaps I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and there's just a better way to do this? I'm still relatively new to solidworks.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Curve through XYZ points does not update when reference txt file is updated
          Sworks User

Hello Ben,

1. I believe you can achieve your goal if you consider working with Configurations.
          2. Setup each configuration to be specific to one Airfoil
          3. Then enable the respective configurations when willing to work on each Airfoil

For example:

Step 1: "CONFIGURATION NAME1" is "NACA 2412" and import all the XYZ curves related to this Airfoil (Say 2 of them)

Step 2: "CONFIGURATION NAME2" is "NACA 2418" and import all the XYZ curves related to this Airfoil (Say 2 of them)

You can specify the Curves for each configuration as below.

First of all Import the Curves into Solidworks (say 4 of them; 2 for each Configuration)

Then Right click on each curve and select the Configuration Names where it has to be Suppressed as shown in below screenshot.

Select the Checkbox to configure where the selected curve has to be Suppressed;

Below Curve 1 is Enabled for only CONFIG1 Configuration, hence it is Suppressed in CONFIG2

So in your Case, You will have 2 curves in each Configuration which you would be using in Loft Feature.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Vineet