24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 3:11 AM by Gordon Rigg

    Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?

    Grant Kirkland

      Is it possible to change the default setting of the "slot" Hole Wizard function to center to center instead of the current tangent to tangent setting?

      For example, if I want a 1/4" loose clearance hole slot that is 1" long center to center I can input a length of "1 - 9/32" but it would be much more convenient if there was a center to center length setting!

       

      Also, the Hole Wizard callout function when detailing a drawing gives tangent to tangent length - is this possible to change to center to center as well? The CNC guys really hate seeing max length, and I really hate dimensioning slots when it could easily be called out.

        • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
          Anton Miller

          I am not finding anything for the hole wizard.

           

          but for a normal sketched feature you can change it.

           

          Capture.PNG

           

          Capture2.PNG

          • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
            Manuel Campos Costa

            UP

             

            I have the same question!

             

            It would be very useful

            • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
              Sam Bailey

              This problem led to a bad set of parts for us.  Hole Callout for one of these slots shows the same end-to-end dimension.  The machinist assumed it was a center-to-center dimension.  We thought it was the machinist's fault until he questioned numbers not adding up, so that relationship is strained.  Even with the machinist pushing this to the front of the queue we're about to miss a ship date waiting for this part.  I now need to go through all our parts to look for any other slots that may have this problem so I can manually type in dimensions on the drawings.

               

              This definitely needs to be fixed.

                • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                  Grant Kirkland

                  We have ditched the slot feature in Hole Wizard. We have resorted to using the slot sketch in a hole cutout and dimensioning radius to radius.

                  It's amazing the number of feature in SW that are rendered useless due to silly things.

                    • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                      Bill Stadler

                      Grant Kirkland wrote:

                       

                      We have ditched the slot feature in Hole Wizard. We have resorted to using the slot sketch in a hole cutout and dimensioning radius to radius.

                      It's amazing the number of feature in SW that are rendered useless due to silly things.

                      Unfortunately ditto.  We have instructed our users not to use it as well.  Seems like a simple thing to add...

                      • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                        Glenn Schroeder

                        Grant Kirkland wrote:

                         

                        We have ditched the slot feature in Hole Wizard. We have resorted to using the slot sketch in a hole cutout and dimensioning radius to radius.

                        It's amazing the number of feature in SW that are rendered useless due to silly things.

                         

                        I can understand your frustration with not being able to customize the Hole Wizard callout, but if you're applying dimensions anyway then why not use the Hole Wizard feature to create the slots?

                          • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                            Gordon Rigg
                            • Of course! Just get out your calculator and calculate the dimensions hole wizard slot requires rather than the dimensions you know and want....bearing in mind its a different calculation depending on the fastener size and the clearance selected...
                            • Why not create a global variable for the "real" slot length (the distance a fastener can move in the slot) and then use formulae to drive the hole wizard slot to make it the right size?
                            • Why not write a macro where you enter the slot size you want and it drives the hole wizard slot in a way that bypasses the inadequacies of hole wizard slot dimensioning?

                            Because we already have the slot sketch tool that works correctly and its much easier and it is simpler to use that, rather than the badly written hole wizard slot tool that has been so obviously wrong since it was introduced!

                             

                              • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                                Glenn Schroeder

                                Gordon Rigg wrote:

                                 

                                • Of course! Just get out your calculator and calculate the dimensions hole wizard slot requires rather than the dimensions you know and want....bearing in mind its a different calculation depending on the fastener size and the clearance selected...
                                • Why not create a global variable for the "real" slot length (the distance a fastener can move in the slot) and then use formulae to drive the hole wizard slot to make it the right size?
                                • Why not write a macro where you enter the slot size you want and it drives the hole wizard slot in a way that bypasses the inadequacies of hole wizard slot dimensioning?

                                Because we already have the slot sketch tool that works correctly and its much easier and it is simpler to use that, rather than the badly written hole wizard slot tool that has been so obviously wrong since it was introduced!

                                 

                                 

                                Okay, that makes sense.  I wasn't thinking about the issues with creating the slots.

                                • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                                  Dwight Livingston

                                  Grodon

                                   

                                  I agree that slots should be specified center-to-center. I hope it gets changed.

                                   

                                  This thread reminds me that I often use Hole Wizard to create a pattern of bolt holes, and then I add a cut feature to modify it. I cut slots to replace some of the holes, or I make some holes oversize. In the sketch for the cut feature, I use relationships for the slot width (not the length), so if the fastener size changes, the slots change as well. It is all a bit kludgey, but at least I have the original hole pattern to populate the assembly. That's a feature of Hole Wizard I don't want to give up.

                                   

                                  Dwight

                                    • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                                      Glenn Schroeder

                                      Dwight Livingston wrote:

                                       

                                      Grodon

                                       

                                      I agree that slots should be specified center-to-center. I hope it gets changed.

                                       

                                      This thread reminds me that I often use Hole Wizard to create a pattern of bolt holes, and then I add a cut feature to modify it. I cut slots to replace some of the holes, or I make some holes oversize. In the sketch for the cut feature, I use relationships for the slot width (not the length), so if the fastener size changes, the slots change as well. It is all a bit kludgey, but at least I have the original hole pattern to populate the assembly. That's a feature of Hole Wizard I don't want to give up.

                                       

                                      Dwight

                                       

                                      Dwight,

                                       

                                      I have no problem with it being changed, but if they do I sincerely hope we get the option to define it either way, like we currently do with the slot sketch feature.  In the industry I work in slots are always called out by the total length, not center-to-center, so the way the Hole Wizard operates now is perfect for me.

                                        • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                                          Dwight Livingston

                                          Glenn Schroeder wrote:


                                          I have no problem with it being changed, but if they do I sincerely hope we get the option to define it either way, like we currently do with the slot sketch feature. In the industry I work in slots are always called out by the total length, not center-to-center, so the way the Hole Wizard operates now is perfect for me.

                                          Glenn

                                           

                                          Fair enough.

                                           

                                          Dwight

                                          • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                                            Gordon Rigg

                                            Yes of course, both options should be available, like they are in the slot sketch tool.
                                            The point is that at the design stage you usually want the centre to centre. That is what you need for the design intent...
                                            The detail drawing can call the end to end, as that is what can be easily measured for inspection.
                                            The model definition and how the feature is defined on the detail drawing do not need to be the same thing.

                                • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                                  Jimmy Skobyak

                                  Same issue here. We dimension using center to center as that is the slots "usable" distance. I've also had to revert to using the sketch slot in an extruded cut instead of the hole wizard for this reason. Pls fix!

                                    • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                                      Gordon Rigg

                                      This gets my +1 +10 +100 +a million.

                                      I wish I could add myself to an SPR or whatever for this.

                                      Link above Provide Option for Defining Slot Length Center-to-Center goes nowhere for me

                                      Who in their right mind decided it was a good idea to have one option of end to end, rather than center to center? Not an engineer.
                                      We know the size of the fastener and we know the range of movement that is needed.

                                      The slot end to end (tangent) length is a function of the slot clearance, and for that clearance we can pick tight, normal or lose and not bother with what actual value it is - except that value affects the important range of movement for the fastener.

                                      We change the fit of the slot and it changes the range of movement for the fastener! That is wrong! That is not anybody's design intent!

                                      Virtually nobody wants the end to end measurement at the design stage. Some small number of people might want to have that dimension on the detail drawing but almost exactly 100% of people want the center to center dimension available.

                                      The hole wizard slot definition is wrong.

                                      We see reports above of it costing $$$$  in scrap parts.

                                      It is a bug!

                                      Put it right NOW before it costs your users more cash!!!

                                    • Re: Hole Wizard slot length from center to center?
                                      Marcus Dimarco

                                      Any update on this?  I have gotten 2 calls from machine shop for confusion about slot callouts.