20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 10:36 AM by Rick Becker

BOM Item Number

Brad H.

Hello, 

I have a question about the solidworks BOM in drawings. When creating a BOM there is a column with the header (“Item Number”). My question – Is it possible to somehow link that “Item Number” to the part (i.e – to its custom properties)? Is there an automated process, maybe a macro out there? 

Thank You,

Brad

• Re: BOM Item Number
          John Stoltzfus

Edit the header and link to the properties you want, no macro needed......

Glenn Schroeder

What John said.  See below.

Rick Becker

We need some help to do the reverse.

We design a progressive die.

We want to order the tool steel as soon as possible so the guys can square up the blocks while I am detailing the job.

The tool steel comes in with detail numbers (that I specified while ordering) painted on them.

So..

We balloon the assembly, make a BOM and order the tool steel as soon as the design is approved.

What we would like is the ability to add all the balloons and change the numbers of the balloons, in succession, around the lower half and them the upper half of the tool and have the number we put into the balloon populate a field in the custom properties of each part. That way when we get to the part and detail the block the detail number will already be there.

Any thoughts if this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Solid Air

I think what John and Glenn were alluding to would work for you.

1 - In the model create a custom property (ex. myItemNo) and populate it with the item number you want displayed in the balloon and BOM.

2 - In the BOM, change the item number column, using the method explained by John and Glenn, to display your item number (ex. myItemNo); you can always sort this column later so the numbers are in ascending order.

3 - Balloon the item in the drawing but instead of the balloon text using item number set it to look at your custom property (ex. myItemNo).  NOTE: Remember you can copy balloons so you do not have to keep creating this special balloon that looks at your custom item number.

John and Glenn, I think this is what you were getting at; if this is wrong, then I am apologize.

Rick Becker

Thanks for your reply. I didn't explain our request clearly.

I want to balloon an assembly drawing and have the balloons be sequential on the paper. Aesthetics count. We want the balloon numbers ascending from left to right and no number can be missing or out of place.

Once it looks correct on the assembly drawings, I need a custom property field to populate in the model. Then I will start to detail the models and I can view the custom property to see what detail number I am detailing.

I hope this is more clear.

John Stoltzfus

Do you want the part numbers sorted numerically?  BOM's list is generated in how your parts are in order from the feature tree, would it work for you to have a macro that numerically adjusts your feature tree?

I use a macro to organize the feature tree. 

Could you post a picture?

Rick Becker

John,

Yes sort numerically.

I'm not sure how  reorganizing the tree would align with the balloons placed on the assembly drawing.

Here is a picture of a portion of the latest progressive die I am working on. You can see the balloons are sequential and orderly from left to right. This die has 225 details.

The other picture is the first sheet (of 10 sheets) of the BOM.

Die-Balloons-1.jpg

BOM-1.jpg

John Stoltzfus

The macro I use won't be what you need, you need "Hot Balloons" that can be linked and changing the properties in the BOM, right now the Balloons are "Driven" you need them to be the "Driver"  -  Custom Properties "might" be your answer, not sure...

Glenn Schroeder

Rick Becker wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I didn't explain our request clearly.

I want to balloon an assembly drawing and have the balloons be sequential on the paper. Aesthetics count. We want the balloon numbers ascending from left to right and no number can be missing or out of place.

Once it looks correct on the assembly drawings, I need a custom property field to populate in the model. Then I will start to detail the models and I can view the custom property to see what detail number I am detailing.

I hope this is more clear.

Yes, it's clear, but it took me a while.  Assign a custom property to your Parts.  Enter any value to start with.  Place your assembly drawing view.  Insert a BOM, with a column linked to this custom property.  Balloon the Parts, with the balloon calling out this property.  Double-click on the cells in the BOM and assign the desired value.  You'll get a message when you do that asking if you want the edits to affect the model.  Answer "Yes".  I answered "Yes" and turned mine off years ago (see below), but if you haven't turned yours off you should get the message.  That will edit the custom property in the Part, which should work for you.

Rick Becker

Glenn,

Sooooooooo close. Thanks for your reply.

It does work exactly as you suggested.

Just one problem...

I need to edit the BOM to make this work and I can't get the aesthetically pleasing left to right sequential balloons we are looking for.

I guess I could go back and forth between the BOM and the balloons a couple of times to get them in order. Really not a bad way to do it for smaller dies.

Thanks again Glenn.

Alin Vargatu

Why don't you use the out-of-the-box functionality inside SOLIDWORKS?

Alin Vargatu

Rick Becker

Got it. It's in Auto Balloon.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with a custom property.

Our goal is to balloon an assembly aesthetically pleasing left to right sequential.

Have the detail number in the balloon populate a field in the .SLDPRT file with that number.

Glenn got us almost what we want. Only problem is we need to go back & forth between the BOM and the detail numbers to get them sequential.

Thank you for trying Alin.

Alin Vargatu

Expand "BOM Type"