4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 2:58 AM by Rachayl Duker

Reference a sketch name in a drawing

Rachayl Duker

Is there a way to have a note in a drawing show the name of a sketch to which it is pointing?

In other words: I have a part file with about a hundred sketches, each a circle. Each sketch was named to identify the location indicated by the circle. If this sketch is showing in a drawing, how can I have a note which will automatically show me the name of the circle- that is, the name of the sketch?

• Re: Reference a sketch name in a drawing
          Kevin Chandler

Hello,

If they're set up as dims for the holes in the part, then you can use Model Items to add them to the drawing.

Also, if the notes are in an annotation view in the part, then I believe you can bring the annotation view into the drawing.

See SW help for more info.

Cheers,

Kevin

Rachayl Duker

Can I get a note into the part which gives the sketch name? (And then could be brought into the drawing as "model items")

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I don't think so.

You'll probably need a macro to read the sketch name and then modify a note within the sketch.

But even then, to later update this note, the code would have to somehow know which entity to modify.

I don't code in CW, but the logistics seem problematic to me and I'm curious as to what the added value of your OP is?

Hard-coding potentially fluid data (location) into static text (sketch name) generates increased manual maintenance and it increases the chances of out-of-sync data.

Unless others with more SW familiarity, post otherwise. I don't know of a way to do your OP without a macro, so I suggest you edit your OP's tags and add "macro" or "api" to the attention of the SW coders.

Sorry, I'm not much help on this.

Cheers,

Kevin