AnsweredAssumed Answered

eDrawings 2016 sp02 Bug with rendering symbols from the symbol library on SLDDRW

Question asked by Justin Kay on Apr 7, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 16, 2016 by Justin Kay

We have several SLDDRW files that use a number-in-a-square symbol from the Solidworks symbol library, and eDrawings 2016 renders and prints it incorrectly.  Please do not get distracted and tell me that there are better ways to do this in Solidworks.  The bottom line is my company doesn't have time to revise a million drawings for an eDrawings 2016 rendering issue.

eDrawings 2015 renders the symbol just fine, see the 3 in a square:

But in eDrawings 2016, the 3 is replaced with a microscopic dot, but if I zoom way in, I find that this dot is really a tiny 3:

I have attempted to point the GTOL symbol definitions to a different SYM file (TOOLS > Options> Import > "GTOL symbol definitions").  When I set eDrawings 2016 to use the SYM file located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\eDrawings2015\GTOL.sym, C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\eDrawings\GTOL.sym, or  C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\eDrawings X64 Edition\GTOL.sym, the problem persists.  You must close and reopen the SLDDRW file to force eDrawings to re-render after changing the setting.  When I change this setting to C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks\lang\english\gtol97.sym. the square goes away entirely:

So I can affect the way that symbol is rendered by playing with that setting, but I have not successfully gotten eDrawings 2016 to show these symbols correctly as eDrawings 2015 does.

This bug appears to affect all the number-in-a-square symbols that I've checked (I haven't checked all 0 to 99 of them), and I haven't checked other similar symbols.

The screen shots were from a drawing created in Solidworks 2014 SP05, but I repeated the problem by creating a drawing with Solidworks 2016 SP02.

Outcomes