1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 12:27 PM by Chris Dordoni

surfaces to solid from .max file

Bernardo Araujo Rodrigues

Hello

I am new to solidworks, and I am trying to import a .max model from XfrogPlants Coffee Tree : Xfrog.com

It is a coffee plant, and my final goal is to use it in COMSOL Multiphysics to performs some acoustic-solid interaction studies with it.

The problem is that the .max file only has surfaces, and I need everything to be solids, and I can't find out how to edit any of them.

Anyone has any idea how to go around this issue?

I have attached some screenshots. In one of them you can see that the plant stem is indeed hollow, which indicates the whole model is composed of only surfaces.

The .sldprt is also attached.

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks

• Re: surfaces to solid from .max file
          Chris Dordoni

Bernardo,

Reverse engineering tools like Scan to 3D (available in Premium or Pro versions) can help with meshes. However, in the case the leaves I think are problematic because they are most likely individual single surface objects. It is likely the branches are all separate objects as well, but have not looked at it yet.

I think this would require a lot of prep work in a mesh modeling application, like Blender, to be able to use any reverse engineering tool that can generate nurbs surfaces from meshes.

I think you will need to budget many hours to convert this to a useable model, and that's assuming you already have a tool to convert meshes to nurbs. Or, hire someone that can do it for you.

EDIT,

OK, I looked at your file. Its possible an application that is designed to make 3d printable objects might help, Like Netfabb or CadSpan. But the result of that would be a mesh.

How many triangles are in the file?

I can't get that info from the imported mesh in SolidWorks.

It possible that if the triangle count was low enough, like 15,000 or so, it might work assuming the mesh was a solid. Its possible to break up larger meshes into solid pieces containing about 15,000 triangles BEFORE they are imported into SolidWorks.