7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 9:01 AM by Craig Schultz

Rev Block Control using AA - ZZ

Cad Admin

I currently use a (modified)RevControlBlock 1.13 macro for our "released designs" Our revision sequence is 00,01,02....  Ive been asked to add the function of revisions AA-ZZ due to support our pre-release designs.

I've got the code to read and populate the 00,01,02....my question is how to get it to step through the AA, AB, AC,...ZZ Sequence

• Re: Rev Block Control using AA - ZZ
          Craig Schultz

Set up another revision component for AA-ZZ with the first value being blank.  Then you'll need to set up a revision number scheme the has both of the components in it.

When you start out in prototype, have the AA-ZZ component get set to 1 (-AA), as you rev it through prototype, bump that component by 1 if needed.  When it's released, reset it to 0 (blank line).  Then when you want to make revisions, bump both components by 1.  This will send your number to the next one....00--> 01 and "blank alpha" --> AA (value 0 --> value 1)

You might need an extra state put in between your initial state and the first state of the workflow in order to set the file to 00-AA right away.  I have "Initial State"-->"Set initial Rev" (to start all files at 00-A) --> "WIP"  The parts never go back through those first 2 states.  If they get rev'd they go to WIP.

Cad Admin

Craig,

My EPDM is set up and already does this.

I was referring to using/re-coding the RevControlBlock 1.13 macro to support a 01,02,03 scheme (which it does now with som tweaking) AND the alpha AA-ZZ scheme.

I know EPDM does a poor job of being able to control the Rev block on drawings.  I have been told (by my boss) i cannot switch the rev block to a standard table. Doing so would allow me to better interact with it.

I guess i have 2 options....fix the RevControlBlock 1.13 macro to better work with BOTH schemes...or spend a bunch more time and tying to figure out how to make EPDM "control" & "record" & "track" the actual drawing revisions.

Any thoughts the re-coding...or method to control a Rev Block (not standard table) with EPDM?

Craig Schultz

I'm not familiar with that macro. What does it do?  Screenshot?  I don't use the SW rev block to deal with revs.  We use 3 lines (current rev, 2 previous revs) to show rev, description, date, and approval.  I just rotate the variables through transitions to populate it correctly.

Cad Admin

Older Macro, my predecessor used to assist the user in entering information.  it reads the sheet rev level then revs it up 1 then allow the user to populate the revision without having to select cells.  Currently it works fine if the variable is numeric, but if it is alpha in any way it crashes.  Trying to add the expanded ability to read the current variable and have it continue with alpha if it is alpha, or numeric if it is numeric.

See screenshot

I agree switching to a standard table would allow EPDM to control the variables....i have seen many examples of this.

Craig Schultz

Ummmmmm yeah.......

I control everything through ePDM data cards.  The only thing the the user has to put in is the description.  Eventually there will be an ECN as well.  But I'm thinking of ways to do this auto"magically" through folder variables.  If you're using ePDM ("My EPDM is set up and already does this."), why wouldn't you use that?  Although I know what it can be like trying to change things....

PS - I didn't see that this was in the API forum....early morning + people have asked the question about  the alphanumeric rev schemes lately.