4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 11:22 AM by Christian Chu

SW Templates in Vault?

Christian Chu

Should SW templates (part, dwg, assembly) are stored in Vault ?

If so, how to connect to sw when you make a new part/assembly/drwg from new SW document dialog box?

• Re: SW Templates in Vault?
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Christian, it can be a good idea to store templates in the PDM vault, so all users use the same template files when creating designs.

Once you add the template files into the vault, add the location under file locations in SolidWorks, see screenshot below:

You'll need to add this location for all machines that use SolidWorks and PDM.

Kind regards,

Prasad

Christian Chu

Thank you, Prasad

Just found out that templates is not available in PDM standard

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Christian, I think you are referring to PDM templates which are slightly different. Templates in PDM are used to automate the creation of folders, or create a file and automatically named according to a serial number.

You can store your template files (.PRTDOT, .ASMDOT, .DWRDOT) in a PDM Standard Vault.

I hope this makes sense.

Kind regards,

Prasad

Christian Chu

Hi Prasad,

Sorry to confuse you in the original mesg - what I meant is the SW (dwg,part,assembly), not PDM (card, folder) templates

Anyway, it's interesting if  the template files can be saved in the Vault (should be in the server) but SW can link to the template files from the local Vault View

However, clear the local Vault View might cause a problem of getting the templates until you create a local Vault view again