26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 9:07 AM by Chris Mackedanz

Dual Monitor support plans?

Scott Wheeler

Are there any plans to formally support dual monitors?  By this, I specifically mean having a single session of SolidWorks running with each monitor having its own Window of SolidWorks running?  So each window has its own user interface and toolbars, but since it is a single session of SolidWorks each Window works off a common "in session" set of files, or files in memory.

• Re: Dual Monitor support plans?
          Jim Steinmeyer

Something like this?

Capture.PNG

Scott Wheeler

No, what you have shown a screen shot of is one user interface spanning two screens. What I'm asking about is one user interface for each monitor and both work off the same groups of files in session/RAM.

Jim Steinmeyer

I suspected as much but wanted to check. This does allow you to work on two models at the same time, What are you looking to gain by having two user interfaces?

Wojciech Paterski

well you can start two sessions of SW and move them on separate screens - that's no problem.

problem would be loading same files into 2 different session at the same time, how would SW know which one is the latest/which one to save/rebuild etc.???

Scott Wheeler

This is exactly what I'm getting at, and is where SolidWorks doesn't "support" dual-screen monitors in my opinion.

Also, a few of my users do exactly what you stated...they start two sessions of SolidWorks and try to manually keep track of what file is what.  Not only do they typically make mistakes doing this, but SolidWorks (especially 2016) becomes unstable with weird behavior.  It starts off with not being able to create a Journal file, and little quirks happen in a few areas thereafter. 

Ideally, it would be one session of SolidWorks, with the ability of that session to drive two user interfaces on two monitors at the same time.

Craig Schultz

It's never been able to open a second journal file......

I would actually use the dual screen option if you could duplicate the user interface.  Too much travel.

So put in an enhancement request for multiple screen UI.  Also add in the ability to center the command manager icons.  I have put it in before to no avail....  With all of the "saving mouse travel" lingo, I don't understand why they'd cram the icons to the left in command manager.  Centered icons would save travel especially on widescreen monitors.

Chris Mackedanz

What exactly do you GAIN from having two user interfaces?

Why do you need two sessions of SolidWorks running?

If you simply want to have two models open side by side because they are being designed to fit together in an assembly somehow, or your reverse engineering from step file that you can't do feature recognition on and are measuring faces I get those reasons.  But I hardly ever use my user interface in my single session SolidWorks, between CTRL + TAB and the amazing S key menu shortcut there just isn't much use for it.

I want to just say I'm not saying your doing anything wrong, we all know there are always 3 ways to do stuff in SolidWorks, I'm just trying to understand your workflow.

Rolando Garza

I've done what you describe with another package. But, I don't think it'll work with SW.

Yes, you can start multiple sessions of SW and have each run on different screens in their own frame.

The Journal file will be hosed and Auto Recover will no longer work.

I suspect both sessions will eventually crash.

Alin Vargatu

It's getting easier in 2016 with the breadcrumbs, customizable in-context toolbars and the old "S"-key toolbar.

If you like the old static toolbars, you can always try cloning toolbars and place them in different screens. Even this functionality is not 100 working, because you can create new toolbars only in the command manager, which cannot be split between screens, so you have to rely on the old toolbars which are finite in number.

Richard Wehmeyer

We rarely upgrade SW unless there is a reason to do so.  We upgraded from 2010 to 2012 a few years ago solely for the dual monitor support; much to my disapointment.  It was ok, but not as good as having two sessions running concurrently.  If there is an enhancement request already in place could someone tell me how to get to it to vote it up?

Scott Wheeler

I have submitted an Enhance Request detailing this out per the above forum thread.  If interested and willing, please search on enhance request "1-10690613568"and submit your "vote" of interest on why you feel this would be a useful enhancement.  The more "votes" a request receives the more likely this will be addressed.

Thanks everyone!

Alin Vargatu

Scott Wheeler wrote:

I have submitted an Enhance Request detailing this out per the above forum thread. If interested and willing, please search on enhance request "1-10690613568"and submit your "vote" of interest on why you feel this would be a useful enhancement. The more "votes" a request receives the more likely this will be addressed.

Thanks everyone!

That is just a "receipt" number. Wait until you get the SPR number and let us know what it is.

Victor Frauenfeld

We will not be able to search for the enhancement request number. We will need the Software Performance Report (SPR) number that will be assigned to your request (this SPR number assignment could take time). Then we can vote on that SPR number. Otherwise, after the request is converted to an SPR, we could also search for the text of the request.

Scott Wheeler

Thanks Victor, I wasn't aware of that.  Here's a cut & paste from my ehancement request, starting with the summary/topic:

Provide Dual-Monitor/Dual-UI in a single-session of SolidWorks

Product Version in Use : SW2016

Explanation : There are a lot of request to provide a single session of SolidWorks running with each

monitor having its own Window of a SolidWorks UI running.  Each window will have its own

user interface and set of toolbars, but this is a single session of SolidWorks which allows each

Window/Monitor to work off a common set of files in that session, or files in memory.

I manage ~80 users, and this is a common request among a significant portion of them.  I

also see a lot of discussion in the forums supporting this request as well.

Simply put, there are times where CAD modeling requires two models to be in view

simultaneously, and this avoids the nuisance of having to switch windows (ctrl-tab) when

going back and forth between models.  Other CAD platforms do this, this is a shortcoming of

SolidWorks.

Keith Frankie

I would use functionality like Scott originally proposed.  This would be pretty handy.

I've never found SW's "dual monitor support" to be of any real use.  Simply spanning the same GUI to two monitors doesn't do anything for me.  I've done that once or twice to get a better view of a high aspect ratio design, but that's about it.

When I hear "Dual Monitor Support" I think of something like GIMP or Photoshop, where the tools can float and dock more coherently.  I can place my viewport on one monitor, and the tools can remain grouped together on the edge of the other monitor.  This way I can maximize my viewable area but still keep the tools somewhat together as one movable, dockable unit.  When grouped together these tools don't get in the way of other windows I have open. I can still work with the individual files easily by maximizing them within the work area or occasionally tiling them side by side.

I wish SW supported the WIN+Arrow Key snapping in windows 7 and onward.  It's often handy to WIN+left arrow to throw one program to the left, and WIN+right to throw another next to it so I can work on one and reference the other.

I almost always run multiple sessions of SW, usually 2 or 3.  I run PTFB, a small utility that automatically dismisses that irritating and useless "a journal file could not be created" box.  Sometimes I work on different projects in these different sessions, but I often have the same top level assembly open in both.  One session is of course read-only, but that's actually quite handy.  I can keep working and saving in one session, while retaining the original design for reference in the other session.  I can run small FEA tests in one session, thus keeping them separate from my real work lest SW crash.  This is a lot like the separate process sandboxing that browsers are doing these days.  Sometimes I have a session open with no files open.  If my active session of SW crashes then I can immediately start working in the second session rather than having to wait for a fresh session to start up.

I very rarely see any issues where multiple instances of SW interfere with eachother.  If I'm really having trouble I'll fire up task manager and confirm all session are truly dead before launching SW fresh.... once and a while a SW process will still be running with no GUI visible.