6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 6:50 AM by Dimos Siagoulis

Title block table within part file questions

Dimos Siagoulis

Hello!

I'm working on creating a title block within the part file for an MBD customer as they want to completely switch over from drawings.

They've requested that I create a title block that is formatted exactly as theirs is. I've come across some issues that don't seem to have an apparent fix.

Here's their template:

And here's what i've come up with so far in the part design title block:

So some questions I have are:

Is it possible to divide individual cells (not entire columns/rows)? For example, if I had a large cell and I wanted to split that one in 3 or 4 or 5. Can I do that without having to add a column to the left/right or row above/below the cell.

Is it possible to merge cells awkward cells such as A + B?

finally, is it possible to have independent cells that do not work will columns? For example cell C in my title block compared to their template.

If these are not available (and it doesn't look like they are) is there a way I can suggest they be implemented?

Thanks in advance!

Dimos

• Re: Title block table within part file questions
          Scott Ellery

Hi Dimos ,

I am trying this out right now and it looks like you are correct, the options are not robust enough to get you what you need.

you can submit an Enhancement Request to SolidWorks for this functionality.

EDIT : You can try using the Hide Borders Option by selecting the cells you want to hide the border between and right clicking and selecting "Hide Borders"

Alin Vargatu

Make sure you document everything that is missing or needs to be improved in the functionality of the title block.

In addition to submitting these ERs to SW via the Customer Portal, posting them here could be very useful. The MBD Product Definition gents are known to participate on this forum, care deeply about users' feedback and are really quick to act.

Oboe Wu

Thanks for asking, Dimos.

I played with a generic table and attached it for your reference.

In short, it's doable with some tweaks. I personally found it easier to place sufficient basic cells as needed and then merge them up.

One example is the green lower right corner shown below, or Cell C area in your creation.

If a generic table is doable in 2D drawings, so should it be in 3D. Please share here if you find it differently.

Now one step back, could you elaborate a bit on why this customer wants to switch over completely from 2D drawings to MBD?

It's always interesting to see this kind of forward thinking.

Thank you,

-Oboe

Alin Vargatu

Oboe Wu wrote:

Thanks for asking, Dimos.

I played with a generic table and attached it for your reference.

In short, it's doable with some tweaks. I personally found it easier to place sufficient basic cells as needed and then merge them up.

One example is the green lower right corner shown below, or Cell C area in your creation.

If a generic table is doable in 2D drawings, so should it be in 3D. Please share here if you find it differently.

Now one step back, could you elaborate a bit on why this customer wants to switch over completely from 2D drawings to MBD?

It's always interesting to see this kind of forward thinking.

Thank you,

-Oboe

Thanks, Oboe. They receive documents containing PMI info from their customers (most likely generated in CATIA or NX) and would like to do the same thing themselves, using SOLIDWORKS.

Forget about the 3DPDF embedded metadata. They want to have a saved 3DView showing the model title block and saved that in the 3DPDF.

Dimos Siagoulis

Thanks for your response, Oboe! I'm going to re-do another table tomorrow and post it back here with an update. After seeing yours, I know It's definitely doable but is not quite as easy as it could be with some added features such as the divide cell etc. Alin will reply with the answer to your question!

Dimos