4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 11:05 AM by Sarah Dwight

How can I export keyboard shortcuts

Robert Luck

I have just moved over to SolidWorks 2016 (SP2, clean install) and I discovered that when I reloaded my settings from SolidWorks 2015 that my keyboard shortcuts did not come over. So last week I spent some considerable time redefining my keyboard shortcuts only to find this morning that when I opened a file created in SW2015 that my keyboard shortcuts had been wiped out and replaced by the defaults. So I opened the document that I had open when I redefined my shortcuts and was relieved to find that they were still there. So my question is two fold, firstly how can I save my keyboard shorts so that if anything untoward happens I can restore them and secondly, how can I make the (apparently) document specific keyboard shortcuts active for all documents?

Many thanks

Bob

• Re: How can I export keyboard shortcuts
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Bob,

This sounds very strange. I am not sure how the keyboard shortcuts could be different between different documents as the keyboard customization is stored in the registry, not in the documents themselves.

You can save/restore the settings using the Copy Settings Wizard as documented here:

2016 SOLIDWORKS Help - Copy Settings Wizard

Since I would like to try to investigate what might be happening, would it be possible for you to attaché 3 files to your reply so I can see if I can reproduce it?

1) A SOLIDWORKS 2015 file which reproduces the problem  of the new 2016 shortcuts not being present. If you can't send the original file on which you saw this behavior due to concerns of sharing the geometry, try making a copy of the file, then deleting all of the geometry out of it and see if it still reproduces the shortcut problem. Then send this empty file.

2) A SOLIDWORKS 2016 file which does show your new shortcuts. Again, if you don't want to share geometry, perhaps just use File New to create a new blank file and see if that reproduces the issue in conjunction with the blank 2015 file.

3) A copy of the file containing the keyboard shortcuts that you saved out using the Copy Settings Wizard.

Also if you can describe a few example keyboard shortcuts that are not showing for the 2015 file but are for the 2016 file.

Thanks,
          Jim

Robert Luck

Good morning Jim.

Firstly may I apologise for not responding sooner but I think the email notification has been classified as 'spam' and so I wasn't aware of your request. In the meantime I have completely rebuilt my keyboard shortcuts in SW2016

OK, some files. Attached are two files of SolidWorks settings, the one dated 17th March is SW2015 and taken just before my PC was flattened & rebuilt. The one dated 19th April holds the SW2016 settings with (presumably) my customised keyboard short cuts. A geometry file is a problem as I no longer have SW2015 on my machine and nor do my colleagues so sending you a part with no geometry inside cannot be done bur what I can do is send you a part that just sketches and faces and hopefully you can work with that.

Some examples of my keyboard shortcuts are

Lofted surface        shift + L

Surface offset         shift + M

3D sketch               alt + 3

View Normal to       Shift + Q

I hope this helps

Bob

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Robert,

So I loaded in your 19 April 2016 settings and then loaded your part. Then I went to Customize, Keyboard and all of your keyboard shortcuts are there. Are they there for you if you open this part go to that dialog or are they missing? Note that of the 4 that you listed, only the last two will work with the current state of the part because both lofted surface and surface offset are /unavailable/grayed out in the current state of the model.

Thanks,

Jim

Sarah Dwight

We just installed SW16 on 3 computers at work. We kept SW15 on all the computers.

On the first 2 of the computers the Copy Settings Wizard from 2015 worked to restore all the custom settings including keyboard shortcuts. then we edited and saved for the color settings not present in 2015.

The last install appears to have left the keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures behind. The file locations came in exactly as in 2015. This is sad because we need the keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures, but will need to redo the file locations so that they read 2016. So we got exactly the opposite of what we need.

Why would the wizard work for only 2/3 installs?

Is there a way to save the keyboard shortcuts by themselves?? export from 2015 then import into 2016?