23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 10:53 AM by Pete Robinson

Solidworks hard crashes when clicking in Feature Manager

Baris Ozbay

Hello,

I am using Solidworks student edition 2015-2016 with SP5.0 (I have had the same issue with 2014-2015 as well). I have run the program on two separate Surface 4 Pro computers and have had the same issue. I don't have this issue with desktop PCs. I run with 150% display scaling on Windows 10.

The crashes always occur when clicking in the Feature Manager (things like expanding a feature by clicking on a + symbol and right clicking in the area seem to set it off more frequently). They occur about once every half hour but sometimes more or less frequently and they cause Solidworks to be completely unresponsive. It seems unrelated to part or assembly complexity. I can also tell that sometimes the program will "struggle" with rendering the Feature Manager area, where I notice some flickering or pausing before selecting an item. I've tried disabling various options like "Scroll selected item into view" and "Dynamic highlights" but these options seem to have no effect.

I'm not hopeful for a fix right now, as this seems like it's pretty baked in. I am just wondering if others have experienced crashes when using the Feature Manager because I have not seen others reporting it.

• Re: Solidworks hard crashes when clicking in Feature Manager
          Glenn Schroeder

Windows 10 isn't supported until the commercial version of SW2015 sp 5.0.  I believe that the Student Edition is a year behind the commercial version.  I don't remember anyone else here with the exact same issue, there have been a wide variety of problems reported by people using Windows 10 with earlier versions.  I suspect that's what's causing your crashes.

Pete Robinson

We are currently using some high-end Surface Books (i7 Processor, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA graphics) with SolidWorks 2016 SP3 and SP4 and have experienced the same thing as the OP. It's very random with us, but SolidWorks will sometimes freeze* when our users click in the FMT. It doesn't matter how complex or simple the model is, nor how many files are simultaneously open. We've had it freeze on us with only SolidWorks running on the machine with a single, simple part open. It can happen when you first open SolidWorks or it can happen after you've been using the software for hours.

Currently, I'm working with our VAR to try to determine the root cause of the issue, but because it is very random in nature it is very difficult to troubleshoot. We've found that making our selections from the graphics area or even the newly implemented breadcrumbs eliminates the freezing, but there are certain operations (like rollback and roll forward) that still require clicking in the tree and that is when we still experience the random freezing. Our VAR just opened an SR with SolidWorks today. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

*By "freeze" I mean SolidWorks becomes unresponsive and we get the blue circle of death. The SolidWorks crash handler is never triggered and SolidWorks must be terminated through the task manager. Because of this, no crash report is ever generated, which makes it that much more difficult to troubleshoot.

Kevin Berni

Hi Pete,

If and when a Service Request gets generated, would you mind sharing the # with me? Also have you tried running with with Software OpenGL (this eliminates the graphics card from the equation) and noticed any effect on this behavior?  You can do that at: Tools> Options> Performance > Use software OpenGL 

Kevin

Pete Robinson

Hi Kevin,

We've been assigned SR #1-12148857611 for this issue.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to know if OpenGL affects the behavior of this or not, since when running in OpenGL the performance of SolidWorks, in general, is severely impacted and also due to the random and intermittent nature of the freezing. At this point, SolidWorks is pointing the finger at the Surface hardware, but I was just talking with a co-worker who has colleagues that are using SolidWorks 2016 on Windows 10 and experiencing similar issues. We do have a certified Precision M4800 that has been upgraded to Windows 10, so I'm going to do some testing on that machine to see if I can duplicate the random freezing.

Kelvin Lamport

SR numbers are only visible to the author of the service or enhancement request.
                        The SP or SPR numbers are visible to everyone.

Kevin Berni

Pete,

Thanks. I've reached out to the tech support person handling the SR with some ideas.  It's definitely strange that the Breadcrumbs interaction is fine but not the FeatureManager tree.  Definitely let us know if you can replicate it on the M4800.

Kevin

Pete Robinson

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your replies. As you can imagine, this has been very frustrating for our users.

We discovered this morning that this does not just happen in the FMT but it can also happen on ANY tab in the left pane. For example, a user had SolidWorks freeze on them this morning while simply trying to rename a configuration in the Configuration Manager. It definitely seems to be related to some graphical rendering of the left pane that freezes up SolidWorks for some reason. Hopefully a solution can be found soon as this has been quite detrimental to our users' productivity.

Pete Robinson

Hi Kevin,

After poking around some more, I've discovered that it seems to be the renaming of a feature in the FMT that causes SolidWorks to freeze. If I attempt to rename a feature using the slow double click in the FMT, it will consistently freeze SolidWorks. However, if I use the F2 key to rename the feature, it seems to work fine. This behavior is not able to be duplicated on our M4800. Renaming a feature seems to work fine no matter how you do it on the M4800.

I've updated our reseller with this info and sent a new RX file. They also asked for a dump file, which I sent as well. Here is a link to a short mp4 video clip demonstrating the issue;

https://iftp.wernerco.com/?ShareToken=7249D785F3EA9F566F7F09D8C3E73299604A7634

My working theory now is that when users are clicking, they sometimes inadvertently trigger the "slow double click" in the tree that causes SW to freeze. In any event, this has been incredibly detrimental to our productivity, so anything at all you can do to expedite a fix for this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Pete

Pete Robinson

Hi Kevin,

I apologize for the many messages, but I've discovered something else interesting.

If I set the Compatibility Mode on the SLDWORKS.EXE file to Windows 8, SolidWorks will still freeze pretty regularly while renaming a feature in the FMT, but when it freezes, I can right click the SolidWorks icon in the taskbar and choose "Close Window", which then brings up the "Save Modified Documents" dialog, and if I cancel that dialog, SolidWorks springs back to life. This is by no means a fix, but it may provide a bit of relief to our users since they would not have to completely kill SolidWorks and relaunch it.

I'll confirm that this works on our other Surface Books tomorrow. Hopefully, all of this information is giving you some ideas as to what may be causing the issue so it can be fixed. If you need any additional information, please let me know. Obviously I'm very anxious for a fix!

Thanks,

-Pete

Andres Lesmes

Hi Baris,

If you can reproduce this every time, most likely something is being captured in Event Viewer which will provide us with better information as of what exactly is failing.

My suggestions would be:

1. Run a repair of your installation.

if that does not help

2. Clean uninstall/reinstall

I hope this helps.

Pete Robinson

Unfortunately, because it is a "freeze" and not a "crash", nothing is being captured in the Event Viewer. SolidWorks becomes unresponsive and must be terminated via the task manager. I can't speak for Baris, but I've already done a clean installation (uninstalling, deleting files and registry entries, etc.) and it doesn't resolve the issue.

Rick McDonald

Baris,

Your problem may not be the same as what Pete Robinson is seeing, but it could be.

As Glenn Schroeder said above, student versions are not the same as commercial versions - so your seat is likely not Windows 10 compatible.  Different types of problems are seen by different people when SWX and Windows are not working correctly together.

Have you tried running your SWX in compatibility mode?

With Solidworks program closed, Find your "Sldworks.exe" file (typically under C:/program files/Solidworks/ solidworks20xx) (where xx is your year) (your path may be different).  Right click on the .exe file and select properties.  Go to the "Compatibility" tab. Check the box under "compatibility Mode" named "Run this program in compatibility mode for:".  Select Windows 7. Select Apply and OK to exit.

Restart SolidWorks and see if it works.

This is what most people had to do when trying to run a SWX version prior to SolidWorks 2015 SP5 when using Windows 10.

Pete Robinson

In case anyone else has this issue with Microsoft Surface hardware, it has been assigned SPR #985848: Freeze on rename of node in FeatureManager on MS Surface Hardware. I'm working with our reseller to get a fix as quickly as possible.

Pete Robinson

FYI for anyone who was following this thread, we received hotfix #985848 today which seems to resolve the freezing issue on our Surface hardware. If you're using any kind of Surface hardware and you're having issues with seemingly random freezes, you may want to check with your reseller to see if they can get you this hotfix, which requires SolidWorks 2016 SP5. I am told that the issue is also supposed to be resolved in 2017 SP1.