20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 5:45 AM by Mike Lee

Custom Toolbar

Cad Admin

Has anyone been able to make a custom toolbar.

I know how to do the add to command manager.

I know how to add to the "macro" toolbar.

My question has anyone been able to create an addin or such to create a NEW custom toolbar.

• Re: Custom Toolbar
          Alen Topic

Hello Cad,

Hopefully I am understanding your question, you want to make a custom toolbar to hold certain commands on it?

Did you try pressing the "S" key and customizing your own shortcut toolbar? Where ever your mouse cursor is located, that is where the shortcut toolbar appears once letter "S" is depressed. The shortcut toolbar can be customized to be used in all four SOLIDWORKS environments, sketch, part, assembly and drawing.

Hope this helps,

Alen

Cad Admin

Alen,

Yes to the "ant to make a custom toolbar to hold certain commands on it"

i would like to refrain from altering the shortcut one, as our users customize them to their own needs.

are there any other options?

Cad Admin

Actually i just checked i don't even have "shortcut toolbar" in others anymore?  is there a way to add it...

i myself don't use to many shortcuts and never noticed it was gone..

Alen Topic

Hey Cad,

Under Options pull down tab there is customize

pulldown.PNG

Select Customize and then go to Shortcut Toolbar tab and add and remove commands. If you want to quickly check if the shortcut has been remapped you can always go and check to what it is mapped under Customize>keyboard and search shortcut.

shortcit.PNG

Hope this helps,

Alen

Cad Admin

Alen,

Initially i looked on the tab, even searched for the command..."shortcut bar" was not there.  I actually had to reset to defaults to get it to show up.  Shortcuts work fine now.

Now all i need to figure out is how to make a custom one, or possibly a custom task-pane for what I'm looking to do...any good references on either of those methods?  i know they both will required to be an addin, but i am kind of bound by my bosses request.

Roland Schwarz

You can make toolbars as part of an addin

Kuhn Dimitrie

This post is older, but I've found it's still a hot topic through my own requests and posts from other CAD forums.

Since the SOLIDWORKS Software Development Kit (SDK) already comes with a good template that implements an additional toolbar, the effort for solving the problem is moderate.

That's why I developed the "Custom Toolbar" Add-In.

Custom Toolbar is a free add-in for SOLIDWORKS CAD. It adds an additional toolbar to the SOLIDWORKS user environment. This toolbar, like all other SOLIDWORKS toolbars, can be freely customized. SOLIDWORKS standard commands and macro buttons can thus be placed in this toolbar.

Custom Toolbar - SolidWorks GIF.gif

You can download it from my homepage.

From time to time there will also be updates.

CUSTOM TOOLBAR (SOLIDWORKS) – FREE 

It may help one or the other.

Feedback is very welcome!

Many greetings

Dimitrie

Peter De Vlieger

Kuhn,

Nice idea. I was looking for something like this seeing that Solidworks doesn't seem to allow one to create a completely new toolbar.

However, could there be that there's an issue with the .zip file? The reason I ask is because I can download it but am unable to look into the zip let alone unzipping it.

Kuhn Dimitrie

Hello Peter,

thank you very much for your feedback.

I just tried it and it works on my computer.

But I have just made other formats available for download.

I hope it works now. If not, please give me feedback!

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Dimitrie

Peter De Vlieger

Dear Kuhn,

I've been able to download, unzip and installed it. Thank you. It seems to do what it must without a glitch.

I find it a bit rich that one has to resort to a 3rd party for something as basic as creating a new toolbar but I'm thankful that you made this.

I've tried the ribbon ever since starting to work with Solidworks back in '09. I never was a big fan of it but I've had enough with having to make extra mouse clicks every time I need a different command that belongs to a different group (= tab).

Have a nice one

Peter

Mike Lee

Hi Kuhn,

This looks like a handy Add-in. Before I install it and have a play I just have a couple questions.

Can you create more than one toolbar?

Once created, can you export the toolbars so other users can use the same setup?

thanks

Mike

Tom dunn

Have you looked into mouse Gestures? They are customizable.  Tom

Kuhn Dimitrie

Hello Tom,

thank you very much for the tip.

As far as I know, you can customize almost everything in SolidWorks, tabs, toolbars, shortcut bars, menus, mouse gestures,...

But new toolbars are unfortunately not possible.

Some of my customers wanted their own in-house toolbar.

Most of them have developed a lot of their own macros over time and don't want them to be split up somewhere in the SolidWorks environment. That's why this tool was created.

Certainly, not everyone will need it, but it will help one or the other in the handling and administration of the CAD system.

Many greetings

Dimitrie

Bjorn Hulman

You can of course add custom tabs to the command manager and load with features and macros to your liking.