10 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 4:24 AM by David McNeill

Where can I find more appearances and materials?

Marshal Fitch

Is there a place to get more appearances than what's currently in the SW cloud library?  Obviously I could create my own based on those, but I'm curious if it's possible to use or import materials from another software such as keyshot?

• Re: Where can I find more appearances and materials?
          Marshal Fitch

I guess what I meant was more pre-made appearances for visualize.  Of course, when I posted this I noticed a ton more paints that I hadn't noticed before, so that helped.

What about environments?  Any others around other than what's available in the cloud library?  I'm not willing to fork out a pile of money for a professional version quite yet, to be able to add individual lights.

Rob Rodríguez

If you search HDR Environments on Google I'm sure you'd find some free ones.  There are also plenty you can purchase.  An HDR (or EXR) environment image that works in any rendering software will work in Visualize.

If you want to be able to add lighting to specific areas you might want to try HDR Light Studio.  A bit pricey but it allows you to put lights (and control them) anywhere just by clicking where you want to see the light.  There is a plug-in For Visualize.

Marshal Fitch

Sweet.  Didn't realize EXR worked too, that's a huge help in the short run.

David Randle

Also, if you can't find what you are looking for in the library, i'm sure the Visualize product team would like to know about the gaps so that they can be filled in the future. What Appearances/Environments were you looking for this time?

Marshal Fitch

I did find a bunch of new environments thanks to Rob's advice. 

I had been looking for more paint options as I was having a problem with the metallic flakes not being small enough, but figured out that I should just make the original part considerably larger to give me more flexibility with the flake size.

David McNeill

Hi David

Some additional environments featuring interiors would be useful.  Living areas rather than kitchens.

Are SW going to initiate any kind of shared asset system as during the later Bunkspeed days?

David Randle

We have some new interior HDRIs other than kitchens coming soon. There are some good ones from what i've seen.

Also, there is the same exact system for Visualize that existed for Bunkspeed here: visualize.solidworks.com

Remember to that when you switch to the Cloud Library inside Visualize (the upper right of the Library Palette Tab), you will be accessing the same database of assets as visualize.solidworks.com

For now, the public can't upload assets (this will change down the road), but if you have assets you'd like to share, send them our way and i can help get them uploaded.

Alan Sweetenham

The other thing I would say is the SOLIDWORKS users are used to having lots of different colour options. e.g. for plastics we have low gloss, medium gloss, high gloss, satin and soft touch plastics and within each there are loads of different colour options. sure these import from SOLIDWORKS and you can create your own quite easily but it would be nice to have more options in visualize that act as a starting point.

It's a similar case for metals, just lots more choice that get you close so you spend less time creating and tweaking appearances, some of which will be necessary no matter what.

Alan

David McNeill

Hi David

OK, looking forward to the new HDRIs.  I have been using the Cloud Library for a while now and it seems to work well.

With ref to Alan Sweetenham's note and my original comment about shared assets, I do think it would be best if you follow a slightly different route to that taken during the Bunkspeed days.  By definition, some of the shared material assets were quite specific to certain types of users.  Some had textures but could not be tiled.  In some categories' the number of assets became a little unmanageable.  I think it would be best if you have a CORE range of basic assets that you, SolidWorks, ensure are fully resolved.  The CORE assets should cover the most common materials in a basic range of finishes.  Arguably they should be in a minimum number of colours as colour is probably the simplest attribute for the user to change.  Too many colours and the number of assets becomes unmanageable again.  Only SW could add to the CORE range when a new material justified it.  Separate to the CORE range but mirroring it in terms of categories could then be assets uploaded by users for sharing.

I would also like to say I am pleasantly pleased with the updates introduced since the last version of Shot.

David