18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 5:54 PM by Brian Hillner

Animation Using Visualize Professional - Does Any Product Support Exist?!

Charles Young

Hi, I used SolidWorks Premium at my previous job for 9 years - but recently (literally last week) switched to a new job where I only have SolidWorks Professional and Visualize Professional.  We have products going to market and require videos/animations in 14 calendar days.

Question: Does anyone know of free or otherwise purchasable tutorials and product literature?  SolidWorks/3DS pulled all Bunkspeed online info & support. Our SolidWorks/Visualize reseller knows zero about Visualize. I've successfully made still-shot renderings using Visualize, but can't figure out the keyframe+camera logic for animations.  Due to intellectual property and patents pending, I cannot outsource this work at the moment.

On a personal note: I've been a die-hard SolidWorks fanboy for 9 years and never actually worked as a reseller.  Moreover, I have convinced others to buy-in - literally hundreds of licences purchased by those I've convinced - but I've never seen a penny of it.  So I ask: what happened to the SolidWorks customer-support oriented business model?  If this is their new modus operandi, I just can't encourage others to switch to SolidWorks and 3DS products.

• Re: Animation Using Visualize Professional - Does Any Product Support Exist?!
          Charles Young

PS - I asked these questions to the direct SolidWorks/3DS customer support - and they redirected to me to my reseller.  No real luck.

PPS - If using Google search to search the Bunkspeed forum, you can pull up a cached text-only version!  Not sure why I didn't realize this previously.

Alan Sweetenham

Hi Charles

I believe more content is coming very soon online on MySolidWorks, not sure about a manual. I work for a UK reseller and  there has been plenty of interest from our customer base so we plan to offer our own training course from the summer.

I think most re sellers were a little caught out by the launch and, the best prepared had been playing with the beta release! I did webcasts on standard and professional within a couple of weeks of release, but unfortunately you have to be one of our registered customers to see.

However see the below quick video demo video

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23695963/Visualize%20Keyframe%20Animation.mp4

if you can't access the video the easiest process to my knowledge is below

1. Drag right hand arrow to set length of animation

2. Right click on the item, e.g. camera or object then click add keyframe. , this adds a key track to the timeline for that item.

3. Move the timebar, in the case of cameras keyframes are automatically added unless  camera is locked (padlock symbol)

4. to move objects move the timeline to where you wish to start moving, select the item (i find group selection best) and right click > add keyframe, again this adds a key track for that item

5. Move the timebar to where you want the movement to finish, more the item using the move triad

6. Place another keyframe either by clicking the key shape or right mouse button > add keyframe

Alternatively use the auto keyframing mode, this means you don't have to manually add a keyframe each time you move an object apart from when you first choose the item you wish to move.

Cheers

Alan

Charles Young

Thank you, Alan - even without audio, just seeing the workflow and locations of features was truly helpful!  I'll give it another go.

Rob Rodríguez

There are some things in Visualize help about animation.

Its important to note.  If you own SW Pro or Premium then you have a free copy of Visualize Standard.  Animation is only found in Visualize Professional which requires you to purchase.

I'm sure if you searched Google for BunkSpeed tutorials you'd find some on animation.

Mark Biasotti

Hi Rob,

Curious to know what Visualize animation has to offer over SW animation/PhotoView?

(that is of course besides being a stand alone product.)

Mark

Alan Sweetenham

I know that was directed towards rob but from my experience so It's pretty much just key frame for now but has some cool stuff like automatic rotation animation and tools for wheels on cars so that they are grouped together and move as you would expect. Not tried it yet, could use your excellent Aston or Porsche models to give it a go when i get time.Also you can do automatic turntable animations,  vr output and panaramic outputs, we have some examples on our website, put together pretty hastily prior to my webcasts

https://www.solidsolutions.co.uk/solidworks/Visualize/Interactive-Examples/default.aspx

SOLIDWORKS Visualize Animations

Not sure if i have missed anything else, but they are targeting the import of animations from SOLIDWORKS for the future obviously no guarantees when that will be. My experience so far of rendering is that the lighting is far better for visualize animations, it is easier to get a conistant result without flickering of light/ shadows, just don't have enough control in photoview to always get a good result.

Rob Rodríguez

Hey Mark,

Well its my opinion of course but since you asked .......

At this moment in time SW/PV360 animations are far more robust then Visualize animations.  This is purely because of the animation capability in SW (really has nothing to do with PV360) is much easier to set up, control and has much more capability.  At this point I wouldn't be leaving SW/PV360 to do animation work in Visualize and I certainly wouldn't spend $3K for the limited animation abilities Visualize Pro gives you.

Anything more than camera animations, 360 turntables or simple geometry moves (like Alan's examples show) and you've reached the limits of Visualize animations.  Technically you can group "parts" in Visualize and create more complex animations (moving linkages, etc.) but the geometry tree and tools to do this are not the best and its so much easier and faster to do that type of animation in SW that I'm not sure why anyone would want to even attempt it in Visualize.  The real downfall (as with so many other push button rendering/animation packages NOT just Visualize) is the lack of ability to "work" (group, section, deform, constrain, etc) with geometry.  The SW user has a certain level of geometry control (separate from creating geometry) and this control just isn't found in the "easy to use" rendering/animation packages.  Give the Visualize user a SW feature tree with its selection and grouping (assemblies, sub assemblies) capabilities, "mating" tools and an OGL shaded with edges "working" view in Visualize that is stable (meaning it doesn't crash often) and they'd have a much better animation tool that is more SW like.

I agree with Alan that the shadows in Visualize "behave" much better than they do in PV360.  That's a double issue however.  The Foundry has never really provided a great "shadow floor" for its customers and SW has never really opened the controls in PV360 to help deal with the IC issue.  It is nice that Visualize doesn't have to worry about IC and overall that does make for a "cleaner" image/animation in Visualize.

I too have heard that SW animations will transfer into Visualize at some point.  That's when I think CAD people will become serious about using Visualize for animation (and rendering) work.  That's typically what I do now.  Build the animation in SW and transfer to Modo for the materials and processing.  Then I can better control the IC/shadow issues.

From what I have seen the Visualize team at DS is very competent and very serious about making SWV a great product with all the capability users need to create great work.  Factors beyond the team's control may limit what they are able to achieve. I do hope they have success and I support their efforts.

As with most things, time will tell.

Mark Biasotti

Thanks Rob and Alan for your posts - very useful in determining future course of direction.  For now I will (and recommend to my studio) PV for most work and for myself Modo to do higher-end photorealism and animation.

Mark

Alan Sweetenham

Yeh I guess if you have the time to learn modo then it might the best bet for complex animations of mechanisms etc as at the moment as i believe you can export a motion study as an lxo to modo from SOLIDWORKS or do rigging in modo. I never got around to learning modo really as it's a beast of a program and i just didn't find it very intuitive. Might also have something to do with SOLIDWORKS keeping us on our toes with new products to learn and pass exams in all the time!

Also find Visualize is far superior to photoview for interior scenes (even has a mode for interiors under environment lighting) and the updates work well so far which wasn't the case when i last asked about the modo kit.

I find when i speak to a customer or do a demo I have to ask more and more questions these days to get to the root of what will be best for them. Sometimes that will be Photoview, Visualize, Composer or another partner product, it's not an easy choice for sure but i hope as visualize develops the lines will be less blurred!

Alan

Rob Rodríguez

Mark,

You should certainly give Visualize a try and form your own opinion. 

If its just rendering you need it will work well.  Is it better than PV360?  Depends on who you ask.  If you're a proficient PV360 user I don't think Visualize is going to be any better or faster.  The exception maybe be clear/transparent materials.  They seem to be "easier" in Visualize.

Alan,

Yes, SW animations can be directly exported to Modo.  Not everything is supported but for the most part it works well and is pretty seamless.  You could add constraints in Modo after the export but there is no need to really.  All the movement from SW comes in.  I'll be the first to say the Modo UI is a train wreck   It's not intuitive (especially for the CAD user) and takes a large time investment to use well. 

That's really at the heart of the issue.  CG software that has great capability is very difficult to use and rendering/animation software that is easy to use has limited capability.  I'm not sure why?  Maybe there isn't enough of a market  to make the investment in very capable, easy to use CG software financially realistic?  Maybe no one wants to take on the difficult task?  Maybe its just not possible?

One of the nice things (for me anyway) about PV360, when a user meets its limitations there is a very seamless transition to other software (Modo) that has more capability and you aren't required to start over and re-work a lot of things.  When you reach the limitations of Visualize (or KeyShot, or the other push button rendering apps) that's it.  There is no where to go without starting over in more capable software.

I haven't used Visualize for much interior work.  I agree PV360 has issues here.  There are some workarounds but its not great for that type of work.  That's by design.  The ability to better work with interior type scenes is in PV360.  SW doesn't expose those controls to the PV360 user (this is where the, "lets keep it simple" mindset comes into play).

I can imagine your job is difficult with respect to matching user needs with product.  I receive a fair amount of inquiries myself asking, "what should I do" in terms of rendering/animation software.  "Correct" answers can be difficult   I agree, it would be great if the lines were less blurry.  Hopefully that will be true in the future

Alan Sweetenham

Glad it helped, marks post did make me realize i forgot to mention that you might want to edit the key frames to get the right transitions/ stop some strange effects i saw on camera views, you just right click on the key and choose edit keyframe, then transition pops up on the right.

edit.png

tranisiton.png

I had to change it to flat for in and out to prevent some odd camera shaking/ unintended movement.

Alen Topic

Hello Charles,

You are right due to lack of content from SOLIDWORKS and all of the support material being slowly taken off by BunkSpeed I decided to write SOLIDWORKS Visualize training manual which will be offered alongside a course here at Javelin Technologies. The course itself, can be either taken at Javelin, or through online depending on your location in the world. I would love for you or anyone else interested to attend one of my training courses in the future through Javelin.

Kind Regards,

Alen Topic