AnsweredAssumed Answered

Measure minimal distance between parts

Question asked by A. D. on Mar 25, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 by Sworks User

Dear all,

For some specific application, i need to place/stack parts in a row. These parts are very complicated parts (car panels to be specific).

Now, i would like to have a option to measure the minimal distance between two of these panels, anywhere it is.

I know the 'Measure' feature, and in fact is does the job quite well, despite the fact that now i have to say where to measure. So, i manually look for a spot where it seems likely to me to be the closest call in touching each other) and then manually measure the distance between those two points.

In fact, if i could select the whole part, and the whole other part, and the measure tool could give me the smallest distance/clearance between these two parts, me problem would be solved.

To make it all a bit clearer, i made a schematic example.  Offcourse, in this example it's quite easy to see the smallest clearance distance. But, i want it to be defined automatically by selecting part 1 and part 2, instead of the two point i ( ! ) think are the "closest call."

Well, i'm looking forward to hear your solutions.

By the way, i'm running Solidworks 2016 Standard edition.

Thanks in advance,

Arno

Measure Example.JPG

Outcomes