12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 1:24 PM by David Denwalt

PDM Std

Ian Banfield

Hi,

I am updating to SW2016 & PDM Std.

I have files in WPDM which need to move over, I am not concerned about the history as have only been using for 2 years.

Once SW2016 is installed will I be able to get files out of the WPDM or do I need to open & save outside the WPDM.

Thank You for your help.

Ian

• Re: PDM Std
          Jeff Holliday

At this point the official answer has been that the safest way for most of us is to open the files from the WPDM vault, then save them to the new application. This is not the fastest if your WPDM vault is large.

The SW suggested method is to get your VAR involved. They supposedly have some software available to them which will assist them in migrating the files from one to the other. Of course, I imagine this will not be done free of charge but lower risk may outweigh the extra cost.

Tom Cote

Jeff is correct, so far the official answer from SOLIDWORKS has been to have your VAR migrate your Workgroup data for you.

At Applied CAD Solutions we have developed a program to do the same thing.  The "ACS Ready Capture" tool exports the latest version of your SOLIDWORKS Workgroup data, recreates your vault project structure in a windows format and updates all the SOLIDWORKS file references.  From there it's a simple migration into PDM.

Please feel free to contact me at:

tcote@appliedcadsolutions.com

~Tom

www.appliedcadsolutions.com

David Denwalt

For clarification?

Partial statement from Tom Cote

"At Applied CAD Solutions we have developed a program to do the same thing.  The "ACS Ready Capture" tool exports the latest version of your SOLIDWORKS Workgroup data, recreates your vault project structure in a windows format and updates all the SOLIDWORKS file references.  From there it's a simple migration into PDM."

Only the latest version? No revision history?

I have been following some of the discussion about the end of Workgroup. Our vault is not that big, only around 14 gig. But there are some parts that a maintained at more that one rev level. Just the latest version would not work for me.

Chris Saller

Upgrade Workgroup to 2016 first. Make sure it runs first.

Then, make a backup of your Vault.

There is an export you can use. Ask your VAR where to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qu-KX5-G5E

Ian Banfield

Hi All,

Thank You.

Chris Saller this is what I thought would be the best way to do it also.

The 2 links have also cleared up things.

So there can be Workgroup PDM & PDM std. setup on the same computer, at the moment Workgroup PDM is setup on my workstation.

Ian

Gorkem Bicen

Hello Ivan,

I have successfuly migrate WPDM to PDM Std. with all history, comments, versions, etc..

pdm1.JPG

pdm2.PNG

Simple setup your PDM Std vault according to WPDM settings. Use export and import tools in <WPDM setup dir>\vault

As your VAR for detailed help. As vars we have docs. about issue