6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 1:47 PM by Raymond McHugh

Dimensioning to points from a datum

Kevin Quigley
      I have a situation where I have to dimension to corners of assemblycomponents from a common datum location. There are about 100 pointsto dimension to.

Is there a way to create a dimension table whereby I can set thedatum location and orientation (eg to the horizontal), then clickthe points and the table will be created with X and Y sizes fromthe datum?

Alternatively, can I create a sketch in the assembly, and addpoints to the locations I want to dimension to, then create a tableof the XY locations from the sketch origin for the points?

Ideally I would also list the point to point dimension from datumto the point as well.
        • Dimensioning to points from a datum
          John Burrill
          Well, if you were dimensioning holes, you'd be in luck. You can create a hole table automatically and it will list the X,y locations and label the view.
          however, for what you're doing, I think you're going to need to use a combination of ordinate dimensioning and the API.
          Good luck
          John
              Kevin Quigley
              You know I'm wondering if I could fake it by creating a new incontext assembly part (flat extrude) then creating a sketch withhole centres on the points I need to reference then creating a holetable, then hiding the view off drawing sheet? Does that sound likea plan or the ravings of a guy who is at the end of a 20 hr designsession!
                  John Burrill
                  You'd have to create a holewizard hole, not just a set of sketchpoints, but, once you've done that, you could hide the part and insert the table. You'll probably need to customize the column layout to get what you're looking for.
                  John
                      Kevin Quigley
                      Yes I forgot SW needs holes! In VX I can just use sketch points,but there you go!

Works a treat! Just created a hole table from the"construction part" and exported the table to excel whereI added a direct dimension from origin to point by good oldPythagorus. Then inserted that back into SW as an object.

I could do the formula in the hole table but couldn't figure a wayto propogate the formula to all cells (in Excel its just a dragfill). This would be the final nicety.
                          Anna Wood
                          Kevin,

I do that for creating our weld location drawings. I place a helper part in my assembly file, then add holes with hole wizard. My helper part has the custom properties filled out in it to be able to drive my weld location drawing (it is a rev controlled document).

Use hole wizard to get the x/y locations then change the description of the holes to say weld locations or whatever.

I hide the part in my assembly and change its properties so it is not included in the BOM for the assembly.

Quick and easy.

Cheers,
                      • Re: Dimensioning to points from a datum
                        Raymond McHugh

Thanks for the idea!

I have a Fresnel lens kind of thing going on from an imported IGES and have to get about 500 points out to our diamond turn shop.

No time to polish my rusty API skills; this will save a bunch of copying ordinate dims manually to excel.

Ray