3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 3:28 PM by Thomas Bryant

Generating a curve from a text file?

Thomas Bryant

Some background: I would like to crate a macro that generates springs from a  text file of data, specifically spring centerline data and wire diameter.  This is a text file (though, it might have a different file extension than .txt, despite acting like a .txt), that has three columns separated by tabs, and a number of rows separated by line breaks.  Each row represents a point, and each column represents the X, Y, and Z coordinate of those points, respectively.  If the text file is not formatted in this way, I don't think SolidWorks will accept it.  The wire diameter can be manually input.

If we were to adapt this program to make springs from a single Frontedge folder, the program would need to search for the centerline data within the folder, as well as the wire diameter, and output several files.

After the spring is made, Save the new SolidWorks part. We'd need to choose a name for the spring, and the output folder.  We mostly make use of the SolidWorks model of the spring to check for packaging in assemblies, so ideally, after setting everything up, it would only take the press of a button to update (or overwrite) the springs while iterating a design.

I've been using this macro as a foundation, but I don't think it can read from a text file:

API: Create Spring Macro Feature (VBA)

The first step is reading the relevant lines from a text file and generating the curve, so this is the code I have so far:

Dim swApp As Object

Dim Part As Object

Dim boolstatus As Boolean

Dim longstatus As Long, longwarnings As Long

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc

swApp.ActiveDoc.ActiveView.FrameState = 1

Dim skPoint As Object

Dim lines() As String

Dim sBuffer As String

Const FILE_NAME As String = "insert file path here"

Dim fileNmb As Integer

Dim myLine() As String

Part.SketchManager.Insert3DSketch True

fileNmb = FreeFile()

Do While Not EOF(fileNmb)

Part.InsertCurveFileBegin

'Input #1, X, Y, Z

Input #fileNmb, myLine(6)

Set skPoint = Part.SketchManager.CreatePoint(X / 1000, Y / 1000, Z / 1000)

Loop

Close #fileNmb

Set swApp = _Application.SldWorks

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc

End Sub

How do I read the file if I want to read it from line 6? I've been using this line: Part.InsertCurveFileBegin but I wonder if there needs to be more.

I also get a 'bad file name or number' error on this line: Do While Not EOF(fileNmb)