AnsweredAssumed Answered

Extrude from a curved surface (Snow Shovel Scoop)

Question asked by Josh Haney on Mar 20, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 by Mark Biasotti

I'm currently working on a redesign project where my group has chosen to do a snow shovel scoop. I've attached pictures of the shovel itself. My question is how to get the curved indentations that line the inside of the scoop.

CAD shovel.png VZM.IMG_20160217_120905.jpg

I've tried projecting a sketch from the front plane onto the curve itself, but SW doesn't like that. I've projected a single line onto the curve (which works for some reason) and then done a swept boss along the line (using a circle), but I cannot figure out how to get the ends to blend well. In the same vein, revolve won't work for the curved line for some reason either. I've also tried extruding up to the surface and then using a cut for the excess material, but this leaves massively sharp corners that fillet cannot fix. I've tried to extrude a sketch from surface, which is exactly what i think would solve my problems, but SW won't let me complete that action either.

Any insight on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. Also, I apologize if I placed this post in the wrong section.

Thanks,

Josh

Outcomes