7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2007 7:11 AM by Shaodun Lin

Rotating sketching views

James Smith
      I have a question about sketching views, but unsure if it is possible....

i have a rectangular plate drawn parallel and perpdenicular to the right and top planes (drawn on front). I wish to put a slot in the plate at 45degs to one of the planes so i click the front face, select cut and chose normal to. The model then re-orientates itself so the right and top planes are horizontal and vertical. Ideally though i would like the model to be at 45deg. so when i draw the slot i am drawing the slot lines hoizontally and verically.

Any ideas if this is possible ? When i come to dimesnsion on the drawing sheet i can rotate the view by numerical values, but not in the model view.

• Rotating sketching views
          Daniel Eelman
          Jim,

You can use your keyboard. Alt + left or right arrow keys to rotate the view. In your system options, under View Rotation/Zoom, you can set the angle increment.
            James Smith
            Ahhhh !

Purfect....thanks
                Mark Matthews
                Rotating the view is not going to rotate your sketch orientation. To do that you have to go to Tools; Sketch Tools; Align; Align Grid Origin. This brings up a dialouge to set up a sketch origin that is related to existing geometry. The geometry must be a model edge or Curve feature. You cannot use a previous sketch entity.

See the attached model for an example. The cut is oriented to the angled face so the vertical and horizontal is perpendicular to the edge of that face. You can see this if you go to edit the sketch. To orient the view to the sketch, hit the "Normal to Plane" button after you have entered the edit sketch mode.
                    Daniel Eelman
                    Quite true Mark. I interpreted the posting as looking for a quick way to sketch at a known angle - so he could, for example, use the rectangle command to sketch the slot at a 45 degree angle to the base feature. Clicking on "Normal to" would return the view to the original 90 degree orientation. I guess it's a matter of what you are trying to do.
                        Mark Matthews
                        Just rotating the view does not rotate a sketch or it's entities. When you sketch a rectangle on the front plane it will orient to the right and top plane no matter the rotation of the view. Aligning the sketch grid actually rotates x and y for that sketch. Unfourtunately, this alignment does not follow the geometry you aligned to if it changes (in the model I posted, changing the first protrusion from 45 to 60 degrees cause the cut sketch to fail). I'm sending the part I posted to my VAR to make sure this not a just a quirk of this part.
                            James Smith
                            Mark from reading your post what you suggested was what i was really after however what Dan posted did what i needed.

Do let us know what your VAR says about you comments ref changing the degree

Shaodun Lin

Mark Matthews wrote:

Just rotating the view does not rotate a sketch or it's entities. When you sketch a rectangle on the front plane it will orient to the right and top plane no matter the rotation of the view. Aligning the sketch grid actually rotates x and y for that sketch. Unfourtunately, this alignment does not follow the geometry you aligned to if it changes (in the model I posted, changing the first protrusion from 45 to 60 degrees cause the cut sketch to fail). I'm sending the part I posted to my VAR to make sure this not a just a quirk of this part.

That sounds like a bug, and it might exist for many years