AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sheet Metal Modelling with a Sectioned/Broken Press

Question asked by Lawson Jones on Mar 15, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 by Mike Helsinger

Hello All,

I have a project involving a drawing/model of a component pressed using a sectioned blade/one that does not run over the full length of the material.  I would like to know how others have modelled such scenarios.

There are three main scenarios:

• The press blade runs over the full length of the material – easy/no problem use the SolidWorks edge flange in the sheet metal tool
  • The press blade starts on the material and ends off the material as seen in Image 1 (black = flat profile, red = press blade location)
  • The press blade starts and ends on the material as seen in Image 2 (black = flat profile, red = press blade location)

Obviously the latter two scenarios create complex geometry of stretched and stressed material, which in reality is probably a simulation of an impact loading, and not something that the sheet metal function was ever intended to do.  Although that is the case, I still need to know the end shape of the blades to some a good degree of certainty.  This will allow me to create the necessary go/no-go gauges for the workshop and provide final dimensioned drawings.

Further complicating the modelling process, is that the end of these components wear in service.  The end tips are replaced with new material (see image 3 and 4 with the dashed green sections).  I need to inform the sheet metal workers where bends are required and what the final shape should be (which is dependent on the stretched material) to replace these sections.

What would be your suggested method to model the given components?  I was thinking creating:

• Flat pattern drawings (and press lines) of the original shapes
  • Representative solid lofts (totally useless as they cannot be flattened and do not represent the stressed material deformation of the finished product).  Would probably use 3d sketches at the known end points with a 'bend angle'.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

Outcomes