1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 6:16 PM by David Randle

Creating a semi transparent paint finish

Luke Frost

Good Afternoon All,

I have been having a play around with visualize now it has been released and trying some renders of some of the products that we offer.  All our products are manufactured from wood and are finished in a translucent stain finish.  I have managed to apply a wood texture to the items and also apply a colour however the colour options are only paint which i cant seem to find out how to achieve the translucent effect as paint by nature of it covers the wood.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advanced

Luke

• Re: Creating a semi transparent paint finish
          David Randle

Hi Luke - This is the perfect time to use a Multi-Layer appearance.

You would first create an appearance to represent your wood like this: (Untitled 2.jpg)

Then, create another new appearance that is the lacquer. It should be a Glass type with solid enabled. It should represent the color or tint of your lacquer.

Lastly, create your final appearance and set it to a Multi-Layer type. Load the wood appearance first and the laquor second. (Multi-layer are in order of bottom-most layer to top-most). The final result should look like this: (Untitled 3.jpg)

I've also attached the Appearance file which you can just drag and drop onto a part in Visualize to import and see.