1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 11:19 AM by Joshua Gratz

floating fastener option for concentric mates, and redundant mates

Brett Bell

I am confused as to what exactly the floating fastener option in Tolanalyst does relative to concentric mates. It specifies fasteners and pins, so does that mean that it is restricted to toolbox parts?

What I have is a rotating subassembly attached to a motor output shaft. What I would like to measure is the maximum runout of this subassembly relative to the housing. My question, is whether the orientation tolerance is sufficient, or whether I should also check float fasteners?

Second question relates to redundant mates. I have a shaft supported with two radial bearings. For some reason, I am unable to constrain both bearings to the rotating shaft and the housing. Tolanalyst only allows me to constrain one bearing, not both. What am I missing here?

Note: in image - blue = bearings, red = housing, black = rotating shaft

• Re: floating fastener option for concentric mates, and redundant mates
          Joshua Gratz

I'm just starting to use TolAnalyst, and I've run into some of these same problems.  The documentation for this add-on is exceptionally bad, but this is what I've determined so far:

Float fasteners is not restricted to toolbox parts.  My current understanding is that any concentric cylinder and hole with radial clearance can be subjected to the "float fasterners" option.

Regarding the bearings: Are you trying to add the bearings as constraints on the shaft?  In other words, is the shaft the part currently active in the parts list, and you are trying to add two concentricity constraints to it?  I have found that you cannot add two coaxial concentricity constraints to the same part.  Try changing the assembly order from bearing-->bearing-->shaft to bearing-->shaft-->bearing, then add one concentricity to the shaft and the other to the second bearing.